Hot Rod Forum banner

Can't find a drum brake hardware kit - Help!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JeffB 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm putting Buick 12" finned drums on my Model A. I'm using the 53-56 Ford F250 (or 48-52 F2) 12" backers. Its all a go but I need new springs, pins and keepers to finish this off and can't find these parts at either Wagner or Bendix. Any ideas? These are the large 2"x 12" shoes. Shoes and wheel cylinders I located easily. Any ideas? Thanks, Dave

#3 ·
Here is a trick we have done many times over in my 1952-59 Ford car forum,as you know cars and trucks in the 50's did not have self-adjusting brakes which showed up about the mid 60's and later.Your 12" X 2" shoes were used on F-250's from 1956-1976 Bendix #33 by using the self adjuster kits and hardware from a later truck that used the same shoes you end up with the self adjusting brakes and the hardware in your case Raybestos H2547 H2546 and (2) H4020 kits probably about $25 total.Check the part numbers on your shoes if they are different just look up a later truck for self adjusters and hardware kits,Good Luck.

#4 ·
Way cool....great answer! I was thinking something similar knowing that the 12x2 shoes had been used up into the 70's and I think even later on some Chevy's. I think the Celebrity wagon had them in the rear...but I had no way of cross referencing which parts would fit with like you said, which shoes. I just checked this out...the shoes I ordered yesterday cross over into all 3 US auto makers on vehicles up to 1980....so I will locate the auto adjusting hardware.
The other thing I did was to order larger bore wheel cylinders with dual pistons....1 3/16" bore from F250/350 super duty trucks around 1990. I've read these will swap on without issue....I'm just hoping the piston pins that push on the shoes are the correct length. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.