Can't find headers for my 2002 GMC Sierra - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 05:29 PM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can't find headers for my 2002 GMC Sierra

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra unfortunately optioned with the 4.3L V6. The truck weighs 4621 lbs on a truck scale, and with 3.08 gears this beast is pretty gutless. I can't complain about the combo because I scored the truck really cheap due to a couple of unsightly dents, and the motor only has 31,800 miles, however I need more power for towing a boat trailor, especially up mountain roads. I've been searching for some headers to help the low and mid RPM range, however I can't find any manufacturer that makes headers for my specific combo. I have found many headers for the 4.3L V6, however they are all specified for S-10's, Blazers and Jimmys, or Sonomas. I really don't want to take the chance of buying a set of these headers only to find out that they do not fit in my truck. I would prefer to find a set of headers designed specifically for my truck with this engine. If anyone knows if the Jimmy/Blazer/S-10 headers will fit in my truck without any special modifications, please let me know. Otherwise, I would appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction for the headers I am looking for.

PS: I am already going to swap the rear gears for a set of 3.42's. Any higher and I will hurt my gas mileage too much.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

At that weight is this an extended cab...? Also I doubt most anything you do for the little 4.3 V6 will help very much...? Most of these trucks came with either the 4.8 or 5.3 V8`s and they too are somewhat weak on the torque side... (I own one with a 5.3) But of course are better than the V6 version for sure... If you dont have alot in it you may consider switching it to a 5.3 possibly...? Also once these engines get above 2200rpm the torque does come in better... Just my observation when pulling my other 69 C10 to the track...
Old 05-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Nope, if you can believe it, this truck is a regular cab, long box, 2WD setup. If I had a crew cab 4X4, it would weigh over 6,000 lbs. My buddy's Chevy Avalanche weighs 6774 lbs, but of course he has a 502 big block in it. The Dodge and Ford trucks can reach over 7,000 lbs, so it makes the GM trucks look light. I get this information directly from the manufacturers as well as from magazines. I can provide links if it looks unbelievable.

I have already thought about swapping for a V8, but cost is a big concern, not to mention the grief in changing from a V6 to a V8. I'm just looking to hop up my current motor as much as possible while retaining mileage. Headers apparently wake up these little 4.3's pretty good, so that is why I am interested in them.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Wow... Need to put them on a diet...

Try this part number over at Summit (JBA-1842-1)
Old 05-28-2005, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

hey, I checked out those headers on JBA's web site... looks like exactly what I was after. Thanks for pointing those bad boys out

My only beef is that they are pretty pricy, and that they are 1-1/2" instead of 1-5/8". Since a 4.3L V6 is pretty much identical to a 350 minus 2 cylinders, I assume that 1-5/8" is the optimal size, considering this is what is recommended on a 350.

At this point I'm just glad someone actually makes headers for my combo. Never even heard of JBA until now
Old 05-28-2005, 10:02 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Although not headers it is power, and cheap power at that. The second one even tells you the resistance value ( a smart car guy doesn't need to buy the product after reading the description!). An even smarter car guy could put a variable resistor on the dash that would control the power out-put at the twist of a knob!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7977286819

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7976401080
Old 05-28-2005, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

Yes, an ECU upgrade was definitely part of my plan, however I was not expecting to see something so cheap. It makes me a bit skeptical that it really works, seeing as how aftermarket chips run around $400. If this ECU modifier works as well as they say it does, for $25 you can't go wrong. I just hope it's not the kind that requires premium fuel and forbids towing, otherwise I doubt I could use it.

I also plan on upgrading my cam, if that helps. A chip, headers, performance exhaust, head porting (which I will do) and a 210/215 @.050 roller cam should really wake this little engine up. I'm hoping to get over 300 ft-lbs from 2000 to 4000 RPM, where I really need it.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:06 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

all it does it trick the cpu into thinking the incoming air is cool, thereby increasing fuel and timing. the piece itself come in packages of 100 for $2-3 at radio shack. It's just knowing which one(size, they are color coded) for which vehicle. They list the size and all. this line says it ALL>
Quote:
This modification for the GMC Jimmy has a resistance value of 8,400 ohms to dominate the sensor and signal the computer that the engine is receiving air at the temperature of 39 degrees.
see>>>
http://search.ebay.com/20-hp_Car-Tru...tZ6030QQsojsZ1
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQs...opopmotorworks
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdublinQ5fhp
<<<
Old 05-29-2005, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

I may have a use for the White Lightnin module, but I am cautious about modifying my intake sensor. Since I live in Alberta, cold air is a very common element, and my truck frequently sees sub zero temperatures (sometimes in the -40s). Modifying the intake sensor to read cold air will not accomplish much in these conditions. I am also concerned that when the intake air is hot and the sensor reads cool, it could throw off the air/fuel mixture as warm air atomizes the fuel better. If the computer injects fuel based on cold air readings, it may make the mixture rich. I can't verify this for sure, but it is something worth considering.

I would prefer something that I can adjust the timing and fuel curves based on my own settings, relative to the engine combination in case it is altered.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:16 PM
mudbogger

We've got a 97' rclb with the 4.3 and it pulls it along pretty good and will roast the tires shifting into 2nd gear(open rear), but it only weighs around 3400lbs according to the title. It's also got 3.42 gears BTW.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:02 PM

Headres for 4.3l VORTEC V6

I had the same problem finding a set, but when I get the money together they are coming home to me. Check it out www.myspace.com/Big_Rick_Nichols

I love my 4.3...
Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I sure hope he found them being this thread was started 3 years ago in 2005.
Look at the date before you post.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.