Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can't find OEM seat cover
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Hi Bob: I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you need to understand supply and demand, the backbone of economics. The only place you're going to find seat covers for your car right now (and for any Nissan vehicle) is from your local Nissan dealer, and you are at their mercy. Yes, you will have to pay $600 per seat to get replacements for the seat covers that came with your car.
Over 20 years ago, I tried to buy seat covers for a 1979 Toyota Supra. ( and the car was 10 years old then) The Toyota dealer told me $350 per seat, which meant for the top and bottom of the two front bucket seats........the seat back is $350, the seat bottom is $350, the rear seat back is $350, and the rear seat bottom is $350. That means $2100 (20 years ago) for the seat covers alone, and you can cover the $.50 the hog rings cost yourself. Let me know if that's not the case now with a foreign vehicle, but I doubt it. And, if they will sell you the seat covers, you may have to buy all the seat covers for the entire car, not just what you want to buy.

If you owned a vintage Camaro, a Nova, a Mustang, a GTO, a Cutlass, a Corvette (of any kind) , a 55 -57 Chevy, a model "T", a Model"A", there would be no problem finding what you need, at a price you'd be willing to pay, because all of those vehicles are in extraordinary demand.
Because everyone can supply you with those things, the price will be 80% lower, but because you want seat covers for a late model Nissan, you will pay a premium.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-19-2009 at 06:09 AM.