Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - can't get the 283 to crank
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would use marvel mystery oil and let it soak in each cylinder over night.
Next I would get rid of the distributor, the best place for points is the trash. I would get a HEI were points are eliminated and there is much more fire power. Next it is often hard to start a engine that has sat many years, the rings being stuck or valves sticking is the issue as discribed. You may want to pop the valve covers and cycle the engine by hand to see if any are sticking, I would also give each valve a good shot of marvel or other lubricant.
It will likely take many pumps of the carb to get it to fire off, when you do, you will want to cycle it as if its a new engine, run it at 1800 to 2200 rpm in 4 minute varibles, this will ensure the cam gets plenty of lube, if its not cycled its very likely the cam will go flat, seen it many many times.
Its also very likely whichever valve springs have been in the open position since the engine has taken a long nap are shot due to being open so long.