Can't get even spraying with Omni Pak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 10:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can't get even spraying with Omni Pak

Using a spray can probably isn't the best way to paint the hood of my 89 Dodge Caravan but thought I'd give it a try. Sanded it down to bare metal and added 2 coats of primer. So far I've used 2 7.6 oz cans of Paint code PK4 (DAR4046) which is Caravans Medium Suede. It's a metallic. Seems like the spraycan is "pulsating" onto the surface. I need more paint - but may buy it in bulk since I have a compressor and my neighbor has a HVLP paint gun.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you have a compressor, and access to a spray gun, then why would you try doing it with rattle cans? You should be doing it the right way, so it'll last. You're wasting your time and money on that junk.

Aaron
Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 AM

Last photo:

I agree with aaron. It would be tough spraying a large surface like that with a spray can and having it come out nice. The paint will likely dry on the surface fast, but you have a small pattern to work with. It can be done if the spray can is spraying good. I've done it before with some cheap spray bomb paint under the hood, but I'd never use it for the outside which is exposed to elements and people can see everytime they look at the car. You will get better results with a spray gun and compressor. You can use activated paint which will be more durable, last longer also. I bet that spray bomb filled with your paint code was pretty pricey when you consider the small amount of paint thats actually in a spray can. If spraying with a can you should make sure you keep the nozzle clean, shook it up well. You should also turn the can upside down and spray to clear the nozzle or scrape built up paint from the nozzle area. If the can is cold it won't spray as well, so you could let the can sit in some hot water for awhile to warm up. But if you have access to a gun and compressor, just use that for sure with some decent activated paint. You may want to sand that rattle can junk back off before using a real paint.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 AM

(not sure if I'm replying correctly - I'm new)
Thanks for the fast reply - I'll probably go with the spray gun - can I sand smooth what I've done so far and spray over it? I'd hate to take it down to bar metal again. The can says "Poly" after the "Med Suede". I want to have a clearcoat finish. Not too sure about what paint to purchase.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:33 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you used Rattle can primer, you need to take that back off. Spraying anything over top of that is a recipe for disaster.

Aaron
Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Typed out a long reply, totally read wrong what you said. Good to see you decided to use the spray gun. Like aaron said, remove all the 1 k (non activated) products you put on and start fresh. Its said many times before, a paint job is only as strong as your weakest link- the 1k. You also risk having incompatability problems/ adhesion problems if you spray your new paint over it. I hope you decided to use activated paint also. It will last much longer and be much more chemical resistant then that spray bomb stuff. Id reccommend a base/clear urethane system. It will be easier to shoot the metallic and be more uv resistant. Is this a glossy paint? The suade in the name has me confused thinking it may be semi gloss.

Last edited by kenseth17; 09-14-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:43 PM

Thanks - I'm getting a lot of useful info here -
This is what I've done so far:
I used a 150 grit contour(British/Walmart) sanding pad on what I've already sprayed on the hood. Those foam pads do wonders and don't wear out. Pulled the van out of the garage so I could see the hood in the sunlight - I'll need to finish painting the hood with one more can (I can hear you groaning). The color doesn't look deep enough.

I may redo the hood in the future - it's getting late in the year and I'll just live with the way it comes out - at least it looks several hundred % better than the peeling cracking before I started.

NOW what I haven't mentioned is the top (which is about 4 "hoods" in size - it's a SWB caravan). I sanded it down to bare metal several years ago and only primered it (the rust came through). Sanded down to bare metal and primered it this year and it's waiting to be painted. Oh it's great having a Chrysler product.
The top is where I'll use the base coat/clearcoat urethane - it gets the most sun. I'm not going to do the entire van - that would cost me about $600 ( for DVU according to a local "Paint Shop Pro" ) and I wouldn't want do try that in my garage.
I'm having fun - kind of - it's nice looking into the Medium Metalic Suede of my hood (always like the name Chrysler gave my van color) even if it's only enamel. The original paint on the sides of the van is still nice and shiny. I plan on selling the van as soon as the Kia SWB Sedona comes out next month. I'll miss the metal bumpers but welcome having an air bag.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

I bought a quart of the Omni MBC4046 basecoat and MC262 Urethane clear (plus MR186 and MH266).
I'm not sure about what to use for a new compatible primer to apply after I sand off the existing "enamel" primer on the top of the van.
There is the MP170 Epoxy Primer but according to the Paint Shop I called I would need a sandable primer over that to cover the metal scratches or is it sandable 1st and Epoxy second.
I'm looking for the cheapest way to go on the primering.

Thanks

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.