Hot Rod Forum banner

can't get the tie rod loose

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  trident 
#1 ·
I recently added power steering to my '65 chevy C-10. When I bought the truck the front chassis had been converted from (I think) an early 70's C-10. It now has power disk brakes. While under the truck I found the castle nut on the inner tie rod (drivers side) did not have a cotter pin in it. I also found that the castle nut and tie rod threads are stripped. I'm trying to now get the tie rod off and replace it. It won't budge. I've used a puller and it "spreads" and will not hold a bite to get the tie rod loose. Is there some other way of doing this?

#3 ·
Knock the fork in until there's some tension on the joint, then see if you can unscrew the nut. Also, while there's still tension, tap the metal around the stud with a small sledge hammer. Sometimes the vibration from the tapping will cause it to come loose. I'm assuming you've already hosed it down with some kind of penetrant.

#4 ·
If all else fails

back the castle nut off until it is flush with the end of the tie rod stud and whack it with a 4lb hammer..some heat from a propane torch will help as well..those things can get stuck when they have not been out in 30-40 years.. :boxing:

Then get some new tie rod ends.. :nono: don't use the old ones..the old ones are stripped right??

OMT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.