Can't get to the track...what will it run for ET...(Guess) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2003, 05:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can't get to the track...what will it run for ET...(Guess)

Can't seem to get to the track...can anyone give me a ballpark est of what this setup might run... I know there are lots of variables but someone with some experience will guess closer than myself...motor specs.
350 30 over - balanced, forged crank, main studs,diamond stripper windage tray, forged H-beam rods, Keith Black KB 180 pistons, GM vortec heads, port matched and polished w/manley race flow SS valves (1.94, 1.50)'s, edelbrock torker II cam (Dur.at .050 lift, intake 232, exhaust 234, lobe sep 110) lift at valve .488, edelbrock super victor vortec intake, Holley 650 DP,Mallory unilite dist., hooker headers, elec. water pump...I've calculated a compression ratio of 12 to 1, which should be within a tenth...desktop dyno'd at about 450hp...
put in a 3500 lbs. 74 Nova SS with me in it...
kitted turbo 350 w/ b&m holeshot(2400)
eaton posi w/3.90's 275/50R15 drag radial 26.1" tall...Competition Eng. S/S traction bars...

it ran 14.5's stock, what will it do now?

thanks
Nasty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 05:45 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Prolly mid-high 12s.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:01 PM

I also would say mid 12's.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

I liked your combination of parts. All except the cam. With the small valves the Vortec heads have you need more lift. I have been a Crew Chief on a drag car a long time and have seen a lot of engine combos, I think in real life this combo might be making around 375-HP. This should equate to about a 13.7 or so 1/4 mile.
You said this car ran 14.5 stock? Define stock. That isn't a bad time for a street car at all. The problem with the "Desk Top" dynos are that there are too many variables, such as air.. for them to be accurate.
P.S I think you need more Stall speed also.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Limiting thing with that combo is converter and gears. With more gear and a looser converter then I'd say mid 11's, with your setup right now probably mid 12's, I think your 60' times will be off quite a bit.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would agree with vern on this one. I think mid 13's and high 12s if you get the gears and convertor right. A 12 second 3500 lb car is not as easy as many would think, and is quiet respectable.

Chris
Old 08-08-2003, 07:41 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Id say high 12's, My chevelle only runs 11.80's with a solid roller set-up and pro topline heads...I may get 60's out of it with a better intake, but it's doing just about all itll do...I havent weighed the chevelle yet, but Im sure its proboly heavier than a nova...
Old 08-08-2003, 11:17 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

I can see a bigger stall like 3000-32000.But he says he has 26" tires with 3.90 gears that seems pretty good to me.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

I know the cam, converter, heads are my weak points but they are what i had, and my budget didn't allow me to replace them right off... they are all things easily swapped out...when the wallet recovers I want to go with a Lunati roller, maybe some AFR heads, not sure on brand of converter....

the 14.5's were run on a stock parts 350...except for the cam and intake which were the edelbrock torker II, then in 2000 I did the popular vortec head swap on my existing engine, I know, I know...not really a good idea to put a fresh top end on an old bottom, but...those were the most fun 5 days of tire smokin fun i have ever had... last trip it came home on a rollback....spun 5&6 rod bearings....cam and heads are all i used from that motor in my new build...

thanks for the replies
Nasty

from what I have heard the vortec's don't like much lift over what the torker has so I thought they were pretty well matched... when I can go to the Lunati and the AFR heads, they will be able the handle the breathing...

Last edited by nastynova; 08-08-2003 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:31 PM
WV hillbilly

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by nastynova
I know the cam, converter, heads are my weak points but they are what i had, and my budget didn't allow me to replace them right off... they are all things easily swapped out...when the wallet recovers I want to go with a Lunati roller, maybe some AFR heads, not sure on brand of converter....

the 14.5's were run on a stock parts 350...except for the cam and intake which were the edelbrock torker II, then in 2000 I did the popular vortec head swap on my existing engine, I know, I know...not really a good idea to put a fresh top end on an old bottom, but...those were the most fun 5 days of tire smokin fun i have ever had... last trip it came home on a rollback....spun 5&6 rod bearings....cam and heads are all i used from that motor in my new build...

thanks for the replies
Nasty

from what I have heard the vortec's don't like much lift over what the torker has so I thought they were pretty well matched... when I can go to the Lunati and the AFR heads, they will be able the handle the breathing...
I have heard the same things about vortec's I think one member said .480 lift was all they liked..you may be able to coax more out of it with proper tuning and the right parts...it's very hard to determine what youll run, the torker intake may hurt performance a little as the performer RPM and stealth intake flow just as well..and have the added benifit of being dual plane..Id proboly use a victor JR for your application, one thing to remeber is that no matter how good of heads you use, if the intake wont keep up performance will suffer...I may get some disagreements here but from personal experiance the torker is inbetween good and bad...

I would quesstimate your actual Hp to be in the 380-390 range...
Old 08-08-2003, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

hhmmm...i'm running a edelbrock victor vortec intake....the cam is an edelbrock torker II.....

does anyone had a good stall recommendation... don't think I can afford a Hughes or anything like that...but whats a step up from the mass market B&M...?
Old 08-08-2003, 04:24 PM
WV hillbilly

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by nastynova
hhmmm...i'm running a edelbrock victor vortec intake....the cam is an edelbrock torker II.....

does anyone had a good stall recommendation... don't think I can afford a Hughes or anything like that...but whats a step up from the mass market B&M...?
oh, sorry, well then your proboly making around 400-415hp,
Art Carr, PA (performance automatic) etc....but these are expensive converters...TCI super street fighter converters are very good, I use one in my chevelle...(with anti-ballon plates for future nitrous injection) I have a pretty good list for converters but most are 800$ and above..as a Matter of fact Im ordering a bolt together unit next week...(not cheap) but the ability to change the stall and do my own rebuilds will pay the differnence in no time...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.