Can't Set Idle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can't Set Idle

I just got my 355 SBC back together and can't set the idle. The engine has and Edelbrock 2 X 4 RPM Air Gap manifold with 2-500 cfm Thunder Series AVS carb's. It has a Comp 280H grind cam with an MSD 8570 small cap distributor, 6A box and no vacuum advance. It fired right up on first start and still does, but wants to idle at 2000 RPM. If I back the timing off to 0 degrees initial advance it will idle down to 800-900 RPM, but the headers soon begin to glow. If I bump it up to 10 degrees, it runs right up 2000 RPM. There are no vacuum leaks at the carb or on the manifold. The linkage is properly adjusted and there are no kinks in the throttle cable. The idle speed screws are backed out and off of the cams. The idle mixture screws on both carbs are out about 1 turn. It has an electric choke on the primary carb and the butterfly is closed on cold starts. The butterfly on the secondary carb is fixed in the wide open position per Edelbrock's instructions. It appears neither carb has a fast idle cam or means of fast idle adjustment like their Performer carbs. I called Edelbrock tech support from work and all they reccomended was 16 degrees initial advance, but I'm afraid that much advance will have it idling at 3000 RPM.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Either you have a stuck throttle shaft that could cause the blades to stay open or a real bad vacuum leak. Is the vacuum port for the PVC connected?
For a motor to run 2000RPM that is a lot of air getting sucked in somewhere else.

Last edited by lg1969; 10-29-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mikeymike
The butterfly on the secondary carb is fixed in the wide open position per Edelbrock's instructions.
Huh?

I was going to suggest that you look under the base of both carbs to make sure that the secondary butterflies were in the 100% CLOSED position. Holleys, for sure, do have an adjustment screw for the secondary throttle plates that is only visible /accessible from underneath.

Are these carbs new or used?

Sometimes it is neccesary to drill a small hole in the primary butterflies in order to address mixture screw problems. (Mixture adjustments are completely ineffective when the throttle blades are above the transfer slots.) If these are used carbs that have had this done, and your engine doesn't have this requirement ... that would cause a "too fast" idle.

Thinking more about the fact that the Edelbrock carbs are of the "AVS" (Air Valve Secondary) design ... maybe the WOT thing makes a bit more sense.
Perhaps an adjustment to the tension on that AVS spring is all you need. Perhaps it's set too weak, allowing it to open at too low an RPM.

Somethings obviously letting too much air in if the primary speed screws are both completely off their seats, and it's still over-speed.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.