Can't Stop My Stang from Running Hot - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 09:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ok guys here is what i have does as of today. i drained every drop from the radiator, i went out and bought some 40 below or 40 under, whatever its called and i put that in along with the water and topped it off. i started the car and let it warm up, it sat at about 160 for a few minutes then as usual it began to climb. i took it for a spin and it climbed a little bit more. as i rode i accelerated to about 65 mph and the temp dropped a notch. it was running about a quarter past midway, and like i said once i sped up it dropped down a bit. i cruised at about 55 for a few blocks but it came up a little again. then a funny thing happened. i got home and parked it with the engine still running and the temp gauge just all of a sudden dropped to the half-way mark....what in the hell is going on? and club 327, after i shut her down she doesn't spew over or anything like that. also i do have a surge tank on it now and that still has not done the trick. i will try the method with the ignition off tommorrow. thanks guys any other suggestions are still greatly appreciated. i will be updating in the morning

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2004, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

LakecityG, I think you've misread what I wrote about surge tanks. Go back several posts and you'll discover the difference between a surge tank and an overflow bottle. You've fitted an overflow bottle, which does nothing more other than keep the radiator full at all times. A surge tank is a high strength container that becomes part of the pressurized cooling system. It takes a lot more engineering to get one effectively installed. With a surge tank set up you would need to have your radiator filler neck and overflow spout fully seal off, and fit the pressure cap to the surge tank. I don't know what American models have surge tanks, but the new Aussie made Pontiac GTO has one fitted. Usually they have one supply hose and one return hose fitted. Surge tanks must be mounted as high as possible - eg, next to the suspension tower would be good in your case. Anyway, after reading your post, I'd still say there's inadequate airflow. Why don't you fit a shroud and clutch fan set up and fit the electric fans on the front. I went the clutch fan route and am not disappointed.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:06 PM

ok guys here goes, fired it up and took it for a long ride on the interstate. the temp was awesome the entire ride, i was doing about 70-75. it was still cool even with the ac on. then i got into town hit a light. it climbed a little bit but not too much. so i am assuming it is my fan not putting out enough air. also i found something else. when i parked it like i told you about yesterday. before i shut off the car i turned off the lights...bam the temp came down about a notch. i turned the lights back on and then it came up again? can anyone explain that? and also i have a fan pulling 2950 cfm, does a stock mechanical fan pull more than that? and if so, should i move the electric to in front of the condeser or radiator and then put the mechanical fan back on?? thanks guys
Old 09-08-2004, 05:46 AM

Hey guys, i have another question for you. If by chance the head gaskets were in the wrong way, what would the symptoms be? would the car overheat no matter what? even if i was on the highway doing 75mph? i am wondering because i don't know what is left that i can do, i have changed everything dealing with the cooling system and i am 99.9% certain the head gaskets are in correctly. But the car is still running hot. On the interstate it runs awesome, then as soon as i get into town it starts warming up. but even if i get back on the interstate after it gets hot and i start doing 75mph again, it only cools off a little bit, not much! help is still needed guys. thanks!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Microwaving kitties? bad!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by fat50
I would drain the system and refill it with 50/50 mix, if you are in an area that does not see freezing temps, you could go 70 water/30 antifreeze. Straight antifreeze has poor heat transfer properties. No shroud mean air is not routed through the radiator, it will bounce off and find the path of least resistance. Electric fans usally have a built in shroud? is this a pusher to go along with your mechanical engine fan or replacing the engine fan? They sell an adjustable temp fan switch that lets you set the on/off temps. $25.00 in the Jegs catalog.

Keep us posted if this solves the problem.
I've known a few people who have had nearly the same problems and in a pinch and not knowing exactly what it was that was causing it...installed the adjustable fan switch. Worked like a charm. Easy to install and adjust as well. You can find them cheaper at local parts stores. I believe the one I bought was around 18.

The package gives you the temp. probe, the thermostat, wiring, connectors, instructions..the works.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:08 AM

ok but what good would that do. my fan is on 100% of the time at full speed, if that doesn't cool then what good would a switch do?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:10 AM
CLICK ON MY AVATAR

what is your timing set at?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:28 AM
brains

Last photo:

You said that your car was sitting then all at once the temp droped down. Are you sure your even over heating? I would buy a cheap mechanical gauge so you know what your temp is, rather then just guessing by those factory gauges

Here are 3 things to check

1- loose wire
2- bad gauge or sending unit
3- Air in the cooling system

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.