Caps don't want to go on after installing ARP bolts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Caps don't want to go on after installing ARP bolts

I have a 454 that we are freshening up after sitting for many years. I rebuilt it completely when I was in high school shop. At that time I left the factory rod bolts. I decided this time to put new ARP this time. It is a 4 bolt forged crank/piston engine so I figured I should. The rod ends were resized less than 500 miles ago. The ARP package says to resize rods hen installing new bolts. Now the caps have a hard time going on. I have not tryed to torqe them to see if that "sets"the bolts in yet but that is my next step. These are 7/16 rod bolts.
Has anyone experienced this?
Do I have to resize?
Will resizing make them go on like factory bolts did?
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 AM
More for Less Racer

If you change the bolts, you have to have the rods resized, as the different bolt will locate the cap slightly different. This is true for either factory bolts or aftermarket bolts. When new bolts are installed it distorts the rod and cap different, making the rod bearing bore no longer round.Tthis is why the package says to install the bolts and then resize the rods, not resize the rods and then change the bolts...

The ARP bolt has a slightly larger knurl on the shank than a factory bolt does, for a tighter fit in the rod and the cap. The caps will end up tighter on the bolts.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65impalass283
I have a 454 that we are freshening up after sitting for many years. I rebuilt it completely when I was in high school shop. At that time I left the factory rod bolts. I decided this time to put new ARP this time. It is a 4 bolt forged crank/piston engine so I figured I should. The rod ends were resized less than 500 miles ago. The ARP package says to resize rods hen installing new bolts. Now the caps have a hard time going on. I have not tryed to torqe them to see if that "sets"the bolts in yet but that is my next step. These are 7/16 rod bolts.
Has anyone experienced this?
Do I have to resize?
Will resizing make them go on like factory bolts did?
Thanks for any info.
Anytime the bolts are replaced the rods should be checked for size. Most shops will routinely go ahead and resize them all w/o bothering to check them because they're usually out of spec anyway.

You need to put the caps on and torque them to spec after installing the bolts. This will seat them and allow the big end to be measured/checked for size. After doing this the caps will go on easier- even if they still need resized.

I'd suggest using Wave-Loc bolts over the knurled design bolts if you still have a choice.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks, off to the machine shop.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

I've had the rod end re-sized with new rod bolt, and I've had a problem too. For some reason the new rod bolts weren't straight (but not bent)! They were either "pigeon-toed" or "wall-eyed" (out or in) ...all bad but not consistent. I went back to the machine shop and he agreed, but indicated that as long as the cap was on and the rod bolts torqued properly there would be no problem. My issue was I was trying to check bearing clearances with plastic gage and with this "issue" I had to beat on the rod bolts to get the caps off ...so impacting the plastic gage, and effecting the accuracy. SO in the long run I had to just go with what I got, and it worked, but I believe it was poor machining!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.