Hot Rod Forum banner

car bin sittin for 6 months..

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Trav 
#1 ·
well summer is coming.. and i put my 2001 trans am away last summer and havent touched it since then.. i no suppose to start the car every now and then.. but the car aint at my house and i bin real busy.. so i havent touched it in a while.. i bin told bye a guy i work with that the oil drys off the rings and when i go to start it, its hard on the cylinder.. and i understand that.. so now im scared to start my car.. its got 9000 miles on it.. i was thinkin maybe put some oil thro the plug holes? or oil in the gas?? but it would proobly hurt the injectors?? thanx for any help

#3 ·
Well one thing is did you put any stabilizer in the gas before you stored the car? If not, after 6 months I would drop the tank and clean out all the sludge that has collected before you run the thing and get more sludge in the fuel line and filter.

I wouldnt worry about the start up, just check the oil level first before ya start it up. Putting oil in the cylinders would be okay, but will cause alot of smoke and is just something I wouldnt worry about doing.

#5 ·
87442lover said:
Well one thing is did you put any stabilizer in the gas before you stored the car? If not, after 6 months I would drop the tank and clean out all the sludge that has collected before you run the thing and get more sludge in the fuel line and filter.

I wouldnt worry about the start up, just check the oil level first before ya start it up. Putting oil in the cylinders would be okay, but will cause alot of smoke and is just something I wouldnt worry about doing.

There won't be any sludge in the tank in just 6 months.
A year maybe.

And putting oil in the cyls will smoke and build up on the cat and shorten it's lifespan.

#11 ·
badknuckles said:
you wanna see somethin real funny my boss dumped a quart of tranny fluid down my friends throttle body when he wasnt looking now thats some smoke.
smoked for 3 days lol i think he drove it 10 miles.
Hehehe that's pretty bad.:evil:

I've herd of people puting tranny fluid in the oil or in the carb/TB
to seal up the rings, I'm not so sure that's true. ever hear of doing that?

#22 ·
well i put the car away for witner.. then got carried away with spending money and time with the 4X4 so just kinda left it.. but hey putting oil down the throttle body might be a idea.. or just crank it over without spark as u said.. well i no for a fact the cars gona crank a while before its fires anyhow.. did last time i left it for 3 months.. about the cat.. not a problem. i take em out after emission tests every year.. and for muffler.. i got borla adjustable.. so right now its straight pipe from the manifold back.. thatnx for the replys guys... just had to check.. didn't feel like ruining the motor on my 30g's car that isnt payed off yet! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.