car body rotisserie - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 10:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

car body rotisserie

Hi
I'm new here but I have a need for a good body rotisserie to mount a 69 Super Bee on, so i can do some proper rust repair with professinal results, any Ideas? or info on all the ones out on the market? seems to be lots to choose from?
thanks;
Auto Doug

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

I've been contiplating this one. Cheap enough anyway.

Home made rotiserey
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

keep in mind that thin wall tubing will fatique and crack pretty quick by flexing. i also dont care for hanging the body from the ends. i built mine to support the car like the frame does.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Besides thinking about how well built the tool is, you also have to think about what you are going to do with it and understand it's limited use. You have to really be careful with how much you want to cut a car up while on it. Replacing structual pieces while a body is suspended like that is really asking for trouble. Unless it is WELL braced prior to removing it from it's wheels on the ground additude with doors fitting and what not, you could REALLY end up with a mess welding in rockers and what not up on a rotisserie with the body supported totally different than it will be on it's wheels.

Apon assembly of the final product you could find that the doors and other panels don't fit.

I wish I would have read this yesterday before I went to the Goodguys show I would have paid attention to the ones that were there so I could have given some advice about the different ones.

One thing for sure, I did look at drive on racks with my brother who is going to be buying a couple soon. The "Rotary" brand is WAY better than the others that I saw, WAY better. For the lousy $500.00 or more dollars, there was a BIG difference in quality. (Click here)

I wish I would have looked at the rotisseries for you.

Brian
Old 03-25-2007, 10:35 AM

thanks for all the info guys, looks to be some good units out there and some scary one to! I have seen Whrily Jig and the Auto Twirly ? at some shows and they look pretty capable but my body is so long and is very rusty in the rear bumper mount area, so I will have to find another way to mount it. I have some Ideas I'm kinda a crafty guy, and I have a welder! maybe I'll build my own!
Auto Doug
Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Car Body Rotisserie

Rotisseries are cool but unless you plan on doing several body off restorations they are not very practical. I opted to go for a hydraulic lift instead. It'll lift the vehicle 48" in the air. I can sit on a rolling stool and work "under it". I would rather have had the 2 post lift or 4 post lift so I could get the car or truck higher but the posts are in the way for painting. As a bonus the lift I bought work PERFECTLY to raise my motorcycles up so I can work on them standing up rather than sitting or laying in the floor. Best part about the lift over the rotisserie is that you'll use it 1000% more in the future and with a bit of ingenuity you canb use it to take the body off of cars or trucks and lower the lift and roll the chassis out from under the body after sitting the body on barrels or tall jack stands or something. Can't use a rotisserie for brake jobs or tire rotations or to lift a car to paint those hard to reach rocker panels without standing on your head........

Just a thought. Mine is made by Eagle Equipment and cost me about $1200. I have used the crap out of it!!!!

EZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Cab3.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	19821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewall2.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	19822  

Last edited by Ezrider800; 03-25-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: wrong picture attached
Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Custom builder and painter

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle
Last photo:

I bought a whirly jig about 5yrs ago, can't beat it in my opinion.. My buddy just bought on for his shop about 2 months ago.. he has a old panel truck on it.. and another shop down the road has one, and has had a few cars on it in the last 5yrs he's had it.. very nice system and a good amount of accessories for them.. I think the web site address is www.whirlyjig.com but could be wrong.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

has anyone heard of the accessable systems rotisserie? saw it at daytona and it seems pretty decent any opinions?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 PM

I'm planing on going to the Pate swap meet in Texas to look for some parts for a few cars I'm restoring anyone been there? maybe some rotisserie will be there? the guy that I will have do the sand blasting for me knew a shop that had a Wrily Jig, but he didn't like it, hard to get off the trailer pipes holding it together were in the way, he had to cover the ends up with plastic and undo that every time he needed to turn it and had to turn off his equpiment, the plastic got all tangeled up, he said it was a lot of hassel.
I needed the rear bumper mount plates and sheet metal part right behind it for the 69 Super Bee but I couldn't find any repops so I made mine they look and fit great, and I'm thinking about making like 20 sets of them to sell to others that might need them. I'm excited to get this car upside down so I can get started on doing the rust repair, I hate doing it sitting down looking into the light with all that junk falling in my face. so if I don't see any thing I like at the swap meet I might move forward with my plans and see how that works.
Auto Doug
Old 03-25-2007, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

home made

This is a plan that I got out of Auto restorer,A friend of mine,built one for a 70 cuda,and it was very strong to hold any car. you can always go thicker wall,but it is strong for your type of car weight. If you are interested I can e-mail the plans for it. The plans were to big to put on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car rotisery.jpg
Views:	1645
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	19855  

Last edited by plymouth_man; 03-26-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrider800
Rotisseries are cool but unless you plan on doing several body off restorations they are not very practical. I opted to go for a hydraulic lift instead. It'll lift the vehicle 48" in the air. I can sit on a rolling stool and work "under it". I would rather have had the 2 post lift or 4 post lift so I could get the car or truck higher but the posts are in the way for painting. As a bonus the lift I bought work PERFECTLY to raise my motorcycles up so I can work on them standing up rather than sitting or laying in the floor. Best part about the lift over the rotisserie is that you'll use it 1000% more in the future and with a bit of ingenuity you canb use it to take the body off of cars or trucks and lower the lift and roll the chassis out from under the body after sitting the body on barrels or tall jack stands or something. Can't use a rotisserie for brake jobs or tire rotations or to lift a car to paint those hard to reach rocker panels without standing on your head........

Just a thought. Mine is made by Eagle Equipment and cost me about $1200. I have used the crap out of it!!!!

EZ
That looks pretty interesting. I would think that would work fine in most home garages with lower roofs (like mine). How stable is it going up and down? How stable is the vehicle once it is up there? Can you beat and bang on stuff without worrying about it falling off?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

My rotisserie I made for my 68 Firebird was VERY practical (of course Id love to have a lift too) It only cost maybe $80 in steel (before the price of steel skyrocketed) and after 2 years, when I took the car off of it, I chopped the tops off each one, welded em together, added casters, and made it into a roll-around car stand, for assembling the suspension and painting. The rotisserie actually only made the part for the rear so I had to use some leftover 2x2 tubing to make the front.
The Pate swapmeet is a pretty good one, Doug...not sure if Id travel all the way from Nebraska for it, but its pretty good
Old 03-26-2007, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

Car body rotisserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B
That looks pretty interesting. I would think that would work fine in most home garages with lower roofs (like mine). How stable is it going up and down? How stable is the vehicle once it is up there? Can you beat and bang on stuff without worrying about it falling off?
Yeah, as long as you get the car or truck fairly balanced weight wise front to back you can climb up on there with the vehicle and bang away!! I don't have the motor in the truck in the pic and don't have the bed on either so it kinda balances out. But if the bed was off and the engine was in the truck I'd have to let more hang off the rear to make up for the weight up front. Make sense?

But even at 4 feet in the air (52 inches with the truck adaptors) it's as stable as a rock. The lift rolls around too although at 900 lbs it's kinda hard to move.......

I'm really happy with the purchase. It sure has saved my bad back!!

EZ
Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I'm with Shine. If I was going to put a car on a rotiserie, it would have to be mounted on the body mounts, not the ends or the body.

EZ... One shop that I worked in had those kind of lifts for each tech. They were great for doing rockers and bumpers. They were very stable and although it was some work, they were somewhat portable.

Aaron
Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Car body rotisserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
I'm with Shine. If I was going to put a car on a rotiserie, it would have to be mounted on the body mounts, not the ends or the body.

EZ... One shop that I worked in had those kind of lifts for each tech. They were great for doing rockers and bumpers. They were very stable and although it was some work, they were somewhat portable.

Aaron
I agree. Hanging the body on a rotisserie by the ends is just asking for trouble later!!

Yeah, I love my lift Aaron. From going to car shows and looking at the paint jobs I've seen there's a LOT of people that could use one so they could get the car up in the air where they could work on it!!! The rockers and lower parts of a lot of "show cars" look HORRIBLE where the painter got tired of bending over and cut the body work short or missed with the spray gun because they just couldn't see down there.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.