Hot Rod Forum banner

Car Club Plaques

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AZ Geezer 
#1 ·
I've always liked the aluminum club plaques you see on rear bumpers. Never have belonged to a club until some friends and I started being at the same car shows a lot. More as a joke, just for the fun of it, we started calling our selves the ''Old Guys with Hot Rods''. Since then I have designed a logo based on Crumb's truckin dude with some changes. This logo was printed on shirts and hats, jus like a ''real'' club. Some time back a woodworking friend made an oval wooden plaque with a good rim for me to use as a basis. I looked all over the internet for small (1 inch or less) letters but couldn't find any that were reasonable - they wanted to custom make them. Finally a bag of letters was found in a craft store, a little too large but I used them anyway. The trunkin dude was modeled in clay ( Fimo-Sculpy type) and baked then glued on with the letters. Since there was only one size of letters to work use the word ''with'' was modeled in clay as well. There didn't seem to be a good way to put our location on in letters so I compromised and modeled a small Illinois which was mounted on a plan disc with a little dot to represent ''us''. Once the whole thing was finished and sealed with primer I looked into casting methods. A friend was a big help as he had made a mold from one of his aluminum plaques and cast more in resin. A search through a large art supply catalog provided a source for mold making silicone rubber and casting resin.
As you can see in the pictures (I hope) the plaque was made, molded, and assembled. A box was made and sealed from leaks a little larger than the wood plaque and two part mold making silicone rubber was poured in. After it was cured I tested the volume of the mold with ounces of water to know how much resin to mix for each cast. It turned out there was enough resin in the kit to make four plaques. Once out of the mold the plaques were painted all the same but for the shirts which were the color of the owners car. According to the package the resin should be strong and durable, but since all it has to do is hang out it should work fine.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks good there. Funny, as you told your story, it reminded me of one running along the same line. A good friend of mine (he's a sign painter/pinstriper) has had a gathering at his house/shop for car buddies for quite a few years on the last Friday of the month, year round. Sometimes there's 30 or so old geezers gathered sharing their exaggerated car tales, and relating their physical status (I can't pee well anymore!) with anyone that will listen. In the warm months, most everyone will bring their hotrods, and the host will serve hot dogs and hamburgs, and soft drinks (BYOB). Like yourself, Bob (the host) decided that because we're a large group of grumpy old men dedicated to the car hobby, we should have a unofficial name for our motley crew, so he decided to come up with a fictitious car club name, and print it on a bunch of tee shirts for the world to see. Included is a photo of the tee shirt.

Attachments

#7 ·
Looks good there. Funny, as you told your story, it reminded me of one running along the same line. A good friend of mine (he's a sign painter/pinstriper) has had a gathering at his house/shop for car buddies for quite a few years on the last Friday of the month, year round. Sometimes there's 30 or so old geezers gathered sharing their exaggerated car tales, and relating their physical status (I can't pee well anymore!) with anyone that will listen. In the warm months, most everyone will bring their hotrods, and the host will serve hot dogs and hamburgs, and soft drinks (BYOB). Like yourself, Bob (the host) decided that because we're a large group of grumpy old men dedicated to the car hobby, we should have a unofficial name for our motley crew, so he decided to come up with a fictitious car club name, and print it on a bunch of tee shirts for the world to see. Included is a photo of the tee shirt.
Me and my friends run these plaques I had made up. Arizona is known for heat, but as they say ..... "It's a dry heat".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.