Car Clubs, $$, and you - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2002, 10:38 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Car Clubs, $$, and you

I read these threads every day. I am impressed at the amount of comradery between total strangers. There is definitly a kinship amoungst the post folks here. We give it and take it with minimal offence.
I am of the following opinion:
This is my car club. It's like Good Guys, but has a personal touch. I pay for Good Guys every year. I get a magazine that has become bigger, but not better. Not for me anyhow. It's all ads. If you take one and cut out all the ads, what is left? I go back to the days when Truckin'Magazine drew out templates for full tilt nose brackets. Hot Rod would do full lay outs of basic starting circuits, now it's Painless Wiring .com. I am lining up my posi 10 bolt because of you folks. I am installing a stereo, with your help. I know I have gas because of you! I have seen other questions posted with unreal answers. Things I never thought about. I can brag, empathize, laugh,(boy do I laugh) and disagree with you folks and I am still part of this.
I have read some threads about being put out with car clubs. Me too, but I enjoy this friendship, which you used to find in car clubs. We have those who always have something to say, those who speak only if the know the answer and some who we see only once and awhile, just like a club.

Now, I know that nothing comes for nothing and you get what you pay for. So far, this place ain't cost me a dime! I know this has got to cost somebody something (Jon). So, this is what I am leading up to and we really need your honest opinion:
(Don't get all excited. I haven't run any of this by Jon, but I need feedback to come up with a viable plan)

What would you pay to be a member of the Hotrodders.com "club"? It would be a yearly rate, due on your membership anniversary. You would get a "members" t-shirt, dash plaque and we could have a monthly drawing for a much sought after door prize (HKing, you start a thread on door prizes) If I cancelled Good Guys, and three of the five magazines I get, I would miss it nearly as much as I would if this place went the way of the sponcors or died due to lack of funds.

What would you pay? $25.00 would hardly cover the cost of the perks. $100.00 is a lot of money in my world still. $47.32 looks good, but what you think is the answer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2002, 11:14 AM

i would pay whatever it took
Old 08-12-2002, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Let me know. Im game. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 08-12-2002, 11:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Man you hit a hot button with me. NSRA is still an ok organization and I enjoy their events 'cause they are still about people and cars. GoodGuys is nothing more than a money grab. I have been to a couple of their rod runs and got so sick of their self-promoting jingle drowning out civil conversation, I left eary. I went to their Plesanton run a few years ago and was embarrassed when I found out they were charging SPECTATORS $20 to walk thru and look at our cars. I go to the March meet and October nostalgia drags they sponsor at Famoso drag strip but they don't dare pull the 'my-way-or-the-hi-way' crap with drag racers.

All of the rod magazines have gone totally the kit car route. I was holding out hope for Rod & Custom but their last bunch of issues are Street Rodder jr.

It's to the point that forums like this and my own local network of rod buddies are the only way to stay connected to real hot rodding.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

Thank you for your enthusiasm, but I am looking for specific dollar amounts. What is too much? I'll pay $5 to get into a topless bar, but i won't spend $7 for a shot in the same place. I stick with cheap beer.
What would you pay? If Snydley Whiplash was coming to foreclose on Grandma's farm to the tune of $5,000, would you kick in $30.00? $45.00? Is $60 too much? no one will find your answer offensive, but to forecast a budget, you need hard dollars.
Willys, we are on the same page! It's funny you mention Rod & Custom, that was one of the two I'd keep. The other is Rodders Digest. I am letting my Good Guys run out. They don't need me, they got themselves, GSSP, R&B, Fatman, and a lot of others to pay thier way.

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: Madd Syntst ]</p>
Old 08-12-2002, 11:58 AM

i would pay up to like 60 or so
Old 08-12-2002, 01:19 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Well lets see..Money is a touchy subject but if it came down to it I would have to pay because I truely look forward to visiting this site everyday, this is my 4th time today. I think maybe $30 a year for a standard membership which would only include visitation rights to the site. Then there could be like a Gold Membership, $60 a year (thats only $5 a month), where you get the T-shirt and plaque. I dont know, just a thought but I would definetly be a gold member...I want that shirt and plaque. Great topic Mad.

S10
Old 08-12-2002, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

Talking

good idea! but if u charge you'll loose half the members & members joining would drop, so why not offer free membership & then have a choice of $49.99 for Gold membership offering the extras & goodies? i'm up for it. :p
Old 08-12-2002, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Talking

mmmm, seems we is on the same wave length!!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:23 PM
you're killin me buck!

Last photo:

i could swing 60 bills a year. is this worth it? i think so.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

Talking

sheeet lots of response!!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Wait a minute! We are having a discussion without input from the principles who would get the money. What is the money for? I offered to pay them something when I first joined the site and they made it clear that the thing is self sustaining and they didn't really need the money. I am a mamber of the Mid America Willys Club and dues are $35/yr. That pays for publication of a perennial award winning magazine and they sponsor some really great events like the Gasser Gathereings @ Bandimere, CO, Gateway Raceway, MO, and Thompson Speedway, OH.

Would be glad to pay $30 to $40 but I think it would be better to lay out a business plan of what the club would be then see how much money it would take to fund that plan.

Madd, I too am keeping R&C but am not happy with it recently. Have been a subscriber since 1962 - habits are hard to break! Just subscribed to Street Rod Builder (John Dianna's new rag) 'cause he is old editor of Hot Rod magazine in the hay days of the 70s. I still have hope!

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 08-12-2002, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

WONDERFUL IDEAS!!
Money is touchy and tight.

A business plan is where I am headed. What you get for your money is paramount. It has to have value to both sides.

It still is a free site, but there is a "Gold Membership" if you feel so moved. i do not want this place to become void of candor or enthusiasm.

Instead of Jon wondering about funds or trying to ask for money, lets beat him to the punch and put a plan in place. A bottom up approach to a pro-active solution. (I say that kinda stuff at work, and they grey hairs go Harumph harumph)

Lets say $30. Membership is at 35K. Eliminate half because they just signed in one day. Thats 17.5. Eliminate those who like to watch.(haha)Another half, thats 8.75. Cut that again for sheets and grins 4500. One third for stupid reasons, 3,000. Double the active posters for a base (500) and add 10% of that 3000. Lets say 800. 800x 30 is 24K. That aught to make em sit up and poot one time!

Still, what do you get for your money? Jon, I know you didn't ask for this, but lets hear what the folks want to say!
Old 08-12-2002, 02:16 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Chevytalk has a few amounts they charge for certain luxerys. They have a private forum for those who contribute and those who dont cant get into. Check out theres and it will give you an idea. Hg

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 08-12-2002, 02:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Since no one else wants me, I'LL DO ANYTHING TO STAY HERE! and I do mean ANYTHING!!

Jon......H O L D....M E!

Seriously though I think this site could be easily self sustaining, this is the internet and as distasteful as advertising is.....I think we could live with a few choice quality advertisers to ensure the continuation of a great site, but if it is dues you want then it will be dues you will get....from me anyway. I think the decision is how many people would decide not to visit if there was some sort of tier or dollar cost to view. I think the best feature of this site is that many of the viewers out there are just getting started in the hobby and read what is said here to learn from others mistakes or just to pick up a trick or two and they can do it for free.

I would even plug a sponsor if they sold stuff I already use anyway (how many out there would say that Fel-Pro doesn't make quality stuff?) , there are many ways to skin a cat (MEOOOOW!) and ultimately it's Jon decision on whether we start at the tail or the whiskers.

Just my thoughts....please don't ban me?

I have nowhere else to go? Sniffff.... :o

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.