Car Craft paint articles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 06:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Car Craft paint articles

I've been noticing in a few car magazines that they keep talking about "budget paint" and now I see Car Craft has taken on another new project with the paint-it-for-cheap theme. They say they painted this car for $1800. Am I wrong in thinking that an $1800 paint job won't last? Granted, I am new to paint and body work (the most real world experience that I've had was changing a fender on an Eagle Talon ESI), but paint for under $2000 sounds bogus to me. I know enough from what I've read here that in order to get paint that lasts, you need the best prep work that you can get.

Most of the article seems to lean towards the idea of doing 90% of the prep work yourself, and then haul it to an in-and-out booth deal. Is this really the way to get a high quality job? I presently have my '84 Chevy truck and my '78 Monte to do the work on, and I'm not real sure how the best way to proceed body-wise is. Should I follow the magazine way, or just prep what I know (mainly scrub the dirt and remove the trim), and drop the rest off at a paintshop?

Any input here would be great.

Thanks, Chet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It's amazing what you can do yourself if you put your mind to it.

Sure, if you have tons of rust and other body work to do, the experts can do a much better, faster job, but there is plenty a regular guy can do.

Prepping a car is 90% labor, so why not do it yourself. Unless, you are going to warp panels etc.

I have seen some pretty nice home paint jobs...................mine are just average, but I don't have the patience for it. I just can't afford to farm it out, so i am stuck with what I have.

Budget RVs
Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

Check out my gallery for a pic of my '84. That truck is more rust than steel (except the cab and the frame)! Thanks to the guy that posted that auto-part.com website, I've found most of the rest of the stuff dirt-butt cheap, so it will just be a matter of prepping the metal for the paint. I know that I don't have the right garage setup to do home paint. The prep work I think I can do, but the actual painting is beyond my scope of ability.

Thanks Poncho, Chet.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey schintz, the only way you're going to learn is to it, don't be afraid, if you screw up you can fix it. It might take you a couple of times, but don't be afraid to try. Get yourself some old fenders, doors or what ever and practice on them first, just practice, don't get upset if things don't go right the first or second time. Sometimes one can read to much on how to do something and they start to get confused with all the different information they have read, just take parts of all the information and try things out and in the end you'll find what works for you.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Go for it

I woudl say go for it...sanding filling and primering is mostly just hard work..Once that is done..then you have had some practice and then can do the color coat..

Do not allow yourself to be "buffaloed" by the "experts"..

Mistakes can be fixed and we all make some in life if we are honest..

I would reccomend getting the primer from SPI as I believe that stuff is much easier to work with than some of the traditonal auto paint..

OMT
Old 03-25-2005, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

This bodywork stuff all looks fairly easy to do, just time consuming. Will I need to check with the "selected" bodyshop for a primer that works well with the brand of paint they use? I want the best paint return for the money spent on my vehicles. I'm not aiming for 100 point show quality, but I do not want orange peel or surface swirls to show up 3 months after it's painted either. Prep work and patience, are they more important than money spent at the bodyshop? I mean, if I do the work to prep it (and do it as best I can), will a $1000 paint job detract from my efforts? I realize that it's only steel, but if I put all the time and effort into doing the prep stuff, should I splurge a bit more for a higher quality bodyshop paint?

Thanks, Chet.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

I don't put a lot of faith in those types of articles. For one the shop is usually a Friend or relative and getting free advertisement.

From what I have seen and herd out there, most shops consider it a losing battle to paint over the owners primer or bodywork and a lot won't.

You can prep the car, without a doubt but I would work out an agreement with a shop to paint it first and let them tell you how they want the car brought to them. They may want everything done except no primer so they know whats underneath. Or they may say bring it ready to shoot but the ripples and waves are not caused by the paint but the prep.
Talk around and see.

OR:
Go to a paint store and ask for a good painter that does work at home on side.
They will work with you more than a bodyshop.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
I don't put a lot of faith in those types of articles. For one the shop is usually a Friend or relative and getting free advertisement.

From what I have seen and herd out there, most shops consider it a losing battle to paint over the owners primer or bodywork and a lot won't.

Talk around and see.

OR:
Go to a paint store and ask for a good painter that does work at home on side.
They will work with you more than a bodyshop.
I know of a couple of local guys that do bodywork on the side, but, like I've read a couple of times here, the vehicles sit for months on end before being touched. The paint then looks like crap, but it's not the guy's fault.... never is. Right? I stopped by one shop today and the two guys there were actually working on a car. That was a first that I've seen in this area. They told me to get all the parts, and bring them in. They didn't want to have me mess up the prep or the paint. Another guy showed up to look at how his car was coming along (like an early to mid Grand Am--which was what they were working on) and he seemed pleased. He told me they were a bit pricy, but he thought it was worth it. Looks like I got more shopping to do. Maybe I should just go buy new, but then I can't get my hands dirty.

Later, Chet.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC100
Hey schintz, the only way you're going to learn is to do it, don't be afraid, if you screw up you can fix it. It might take you a couple of times, but don't be afraid to try...
Couldn't have said it better myself. Once you get over being worried about screwing up, the task gets alot easier
Old 03-25-2005, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

I saw a guy named Mike LaValle (I think that was it and how you spell it) on TLC a while ago say that about airbrushing paint on cars. He said something about it's only paint and metal, what can't you start over on? I wish I had half of that guys talent. I guess practice makes perfect.

Later, Chet.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.