Car Cuts Off If I Take My Foot Off The Gas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Car Cuts Off If I Take My Foot Off The Gas

My car will stay running as long as my foot is on the gas, the second I take it off. Its stumbles then cuts off. I have noticed gas dripping from the carb squirters when the fuel pump is on and it stops dripping when I turn it off. It also has a major stumble when I press the gas from a dead stop, don't know if all this is related, but I have no clue what is going on.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

your carb...

u really need to do a rebuild on that carb.. if it dripping when at idle u have a float problem.. and when u start to take off u really load the engine up... pull it apart or get a new one.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Install a regulator to limit fuel pressure to 5 psi at the carb inlet.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill
u really need to do a rebuild on that carb.. if it dripping when at idle u have a float problem.. and when u start to take off u really load the engine up... pull it apart or get a new one.
Ugh ...Thats what I was thinking as well either a rebuild or a new one, didn't want to go w/the rebuild because I was planning on getting a new one anyway, but just not right now. Its a Holley 650 double pumper....

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Install a regulator to limit fuel pressure to 5 psi at the carb inlet.
I do have a regulator I tried playing w/it some, but it didn't help any is there a way to tell if the regulator is no longer working properly?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Is this the car you did a engine swap on? If so did you block the vapor line that used to go to the carbon canister? if this line is blocked the fuel pressure goes out of control and the carb can`t control it. I already been down this road with my 86 olds cutlass when I made the mistake of blocking the line. Before you go rebuilding the carb check the fuel pressure. If you don`t have a fuel pressure gauge get one. When the fuel pressure gets out of control no matter what carb you put on it won`t stop the flooding.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
Is this the car you did a engine swap on? If so did you block the vapor line that used to go to the carbon canister? if this line is blocked the fuel pressure goes out of control and the carb can`t control it. I already been down this road with my 86 olds cutlass when I made the mistake of blocking the line. Before you go rebuilding the carb check the fuel pressure. If you don`t have a fuel pressure gauge get one. When the fuel pressure gets out of control no matter what carb you put on it won`t stop the flooding.
Yes this is my car, but I can't answer that question for you. I paid someone to swap the old 305 out for the 406. So I don't know I can check, but this is a problem that just started happening this past weekend. If that line was blocked wouldn't that issue have showed up well before now?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

I blocked mine when I did the swap in 2000. The problem didn`t start until 2003. Is the carbon canister on the car?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I blocked mine when I did the swap in 2000. The problem didn`t start until 2003. Is the carbon canister on the car?
I'm not sure what that looks like, but thinking about what's still in my engine bay. I'm almost certain that its gone.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Put a pressure gauge on it first.If it is the holley regulator that came with an electric pump don't trust it.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

If the car is a factory V8 car, then look under the hood on the passengers side frame. You should see a line leading up past the motor mount, the line will be made of steel tubing, this is the vapour line.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 PM

I take it that a pressure gauge is different from a regulator?!?!? Its and holley electric fuel put, regulator was bought separately if that means anything.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
If the car is a factory V8 car, then look under the hood on the passengers side frame. You should see a line leading up past the motor mount, the line will be made of steel tubing, this is the vapour line.
Yup it is a factory V8 came w/a lil ole 305 oldsmobile motor in it when I first bought it...I'm currently at work, so I can't check it right now, but I will in a few hours or so when I get off. So if I see this line. I'm suppose to unblock it correct?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

Surely you understand the difference between a gauge that will tell you what the pressure is and a regulator that determines the pressure.The cheap holley regulators are hit and miss on getting a good one.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCMudbogger
Surely you understand the difference between a gauge that will tell you what the pressure is and a regulator that determines the pressure.The cheap holley regulators are hit and miss on getting a good one.
Well yea I know the difference, but just not accustomed to putting a gauge on a gas line...I'm use to using it to check air pressures and what not. My regulator was bought separtely from my fuel pump. Its not one that came w/it.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

I think you mean a olds 307, Olds didn`t make a 305, chevy did.
My car also came with the 307, the carbon canister was in the passengers side battery tray where your battery for your small block currently sits. So the line will be on the frame on the passengers side, if it`s plugged off, unplug it. This may not fix the problem however, there still could be problems elsewhere, but if the problem is sudden excessive fuel pressure this could be it. I tried everything on mine trying to find a way to run the vapour line to something but I never came up with a good plan until I found a way to run a purge valve to purge the vapour into the air cleaner while the car was running. I never got to use the system because the car was parked before I could. If there`s almost anything you need to know about these cars let me know, I`ve almost did everything you can think of. One piece of advice I can give on them is make sure all the factory grounds are connected. I ran a ground from the battery to the block then another ground from the block to the frame. I used the brake line hold down on the frame as my ground connector. I ran another ground from the intake to the firewall. This greatly helped the electrical system. The headlights got brighter, the voltage gauge didn`t dance around anymore and the car started far easier. There should be a ground coming out of the heater core box on the passengers side, make sure it`s connected also.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.