car has no fire it wont start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

car has no fire it wont start

I love my 66 Mustang 6 cylinder everything is new...i just had the motor rebuilt and the guy was suppose to put all new parts ( battery,starter,coil,ect ) on it.when i picked it up it started fine then i had it hauled to a guy to fix the body and paint it.he was taking forever and working on other cars in the same building as my car and it wasnt covered up and had all the sanding and everything else all over it and all over my motor he said he lost my key so we pushed it out and i had it taken to my house.now it wont start there is no fire anywhere.my brother had a friend over here last week but i was gone but he said the guy went to the battery and hooked something up and it started and said it was the fuse box.i replaced the fuse box but still no fire...wont start i have spent almost all my money on this car...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM

car has no fire it wont start

I love my 66 Mustang 6 cylinder everything is new...i just had the motor rebuilt and the guy was suppose to put all new parts ( battery,starter,coil,ect ) on it.when i picked it up it started fine then i had it hauled to a guy to fix the body and paint it.he was taking forever and working on other cars in the same building as my car and it wasnt covered up and had all the sanding and everything else all over it and all over my motor he said he lost my key so we pushed it out and i had it taken to my house.now it wont start there is no fire anywhere.my brother had a friend over here last week but i was gone but he said the guy went to the battery and hooked something up and it started and said it was the fuse box.i replaced the fuse box but still no fire...wont start i have spent almost all my money on this car...
Please help !!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Have you checked for a spark at #1 plug wire. If not check your dist the points may be closes or shorted, or Coil may be bad. Make sure of firing order and if you have fuel to carb. This should get you started.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcall View Post
Ayuh,.... Does the motor turn over,..??

Why'd ya change the Fusebox, when yer bro's Bud had already gotten it to start,..??

Ya need to learn how yer electrical, 'n ignition systems work, grab a test light, 'n see what's gettin' power, 'n what ain't...

If it's got Points in the distributor, I'd start there...
Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Please help !!!!!

MAN!! does this sound familiar.I have few street rods and a kustom 50 merc. I went thru this crap 10-12 years ago and a few times before that. Picking out guys to work on your kar is like picking out a good woman....really hard to do. practice makes it much better but never perfect. Ask
a bunch of questions to other car guys,--- about other guys work-- builders painters , interior guys ,wiring guys etc. I nearly went after a few guys with the law or a club. years ago. MY cure;...........I learned to do it all.everything i mentioned.But you have to be a hardcore car guy to do this. I pay hardly anyone anything for what i have done.....and don't care to hear a pack of lies. from someone else ................its all your MONEY! I feel for ya buddy,poor builders and repair guys drive younger guys out of this great hobby. I hate to see that .Thers a few things i get done now.....because i'm getting older.So i pay out for good help.Remember this these guys on here can save you many otherwise wasted dollars. and the nicest part.......they do it with caring for other car guys, You can get it figured out here. take care an don't let it get you down...somewhere along the line you will get a great job, for little or regular money. that gives you faith in your fellow man. sorry about the rant.

ps i remember taking my truck and trailer to a body shop early in the morning. Thre workers showed up .i told them open the bifg door" i'm here fror my 50 merc" you push and i'll tie her down.One guy looked at me and says" you can't come in here and take that kar" I told him my merc is in the third row back.It ain't goona see you guys in 5 years for the work i need done.

They helped me load it, and away i went for 20 miles home.I was told soon afterthis.............. my kar would not have seen the light of day for one long time .had i not went and got it. The painter thought i was mad at him, when he called the next day....i just told him." i took my kar because of you not doing what you told me you would. I would have been seriously mad ...had you not done it.. take care

If this makes you feel better i paid out abit of money in the learning process.too.

last line Doya think i need a few anger mangement classes!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Old & Furious

Usally you can run a wire from the battery to the coil and then jump solenoid with screw driver should start. Check if you got 12 volts to coil with the key on. And also make sure the key switch is not damaged or shifter/neutral switch hung up on something.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Old & Furious

You can replace the ignition switch part behind the key cylinder very cheaply usally this may be your problem if you had to take measuers to force the lock since key was lost.

Also put test light on both sides of all fuses to make sure they are working correctly. You can use head light as test light with some wire if all else fails. Smaller bulb may be easier not sure what you have laying around.

Be sure to by pass the neutral safty switch just incase its an issue, if it has one in a 66 stang im actually not sure on that one.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

It ran when hotwired so the distributor must be OK.
I suspect an OPEN circuit in the wiring.
The battery postive wire hooks to the starter solenoid. If you look where it hooks it will have several other wires hooked there as well.Those would be the body feed wires, for the lights , ignition etc.
The body feed wires have a FUSIBLE LINK wired in them at the point where they bolt on the the starter solenoid with the battery postive cable. Look at the solenoid to be sure that the fusible links are bolted under the batt postive lead and not the other side of the solenoid , where the big cable goes to the starter.Also check the FUSIBLE LINKS to determine they are good.You can pierce the wire and check with a test light to see if you have power.
H Compton is right , you can make a test light out of any light bulb and a piece of wire. Or just buy one for 5 bucks.
You need to trace the main power wire from the starter solenoid connection body feed wire to the ignition switch.The quickest way to determine where the trouble is, would be to check for Batt + at the ignition switch terminal. If there is no power, your problem is between there and the fusible link.
It could be a burnt fuse link right at the solenoid.It could be a badly corroded connection at the bulkhead connector. The ignition switch could be getting power and be burnt to a crisp.
My guess is the last dude who worked on it, put a solenoid on and hooked the body feed wires to the wrong side of the starter solenoid.
Keep us posted...
Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Please help !!!!!
Are you saying it will not turn over, or it will turn over but just won't start? Have you tried jump starting it?

In any event, if it will not crank over at all, start by charging the battery. Check the terminals for any looseness and if you have those cheesy replacement battery terminals- junk them and get either good terminals or better yet, get new cables that are nice and thick. No, they aren't cheap.

I'll hold off on anything else until you get back to us w/some details.

In the meantime, a page w/some info: Troubleshooting electrical problems
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

volt meter????

if u don't have one... go get one, u WILL need it when doing a restore.. turn on key and ck for something like 9v at the plus side of coil. now the points will need to be open or u'll get zero. if no power, ballast resistor is bad or key sw is bad, or fuse is bad..... get the volt meter...
Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Bump to front
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

bump to front
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Threads were merged because of duplicate post.
Please do not post duplicate threads.
If you dont get any responses to your post, bump it back to the front so it gets noticed.
Duplicate threads confuse things

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.