Hot Rod Forum banner

car lifts

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  aclifts 
#1 ·
looking into buying the house and barn next door to my dads house. the barn is 70x40 and i was wondering whats a well known brand of car lifts for storage(like one car over the other car). not looking for anything too expensive but i dont want to wake up to find a 62 chevy truck running over a 68 chevelle ss. the hieght in the barn is no issue, i cant remember it off the top of my head but its tall enough.

#2 ·
First off, you have to take the ceiling height into consideration. The lift you are referring to is a 4-post lift, and pretty popular non days. These make great storage lifts and are not that expensive anymore. I would not buy any lift that had less then a 10,000 lb lift capacity, my personal preference. get the roll-a-round-kit so you can easily move the lift around, and a center roller jack is a great option for those wishing to do any work on them.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Car Lifts

Hello Boatanchors,

Not to be bias, but I recommend a parking lift from American Custom Lifts. Please visit *************************. We offer all American made parking lifts and automotive service lifts. The other lift models mentioned in this thread are imported lifts from China. Some are okay and others are not okay. So if you're going to purchase an imported lift, please do your homework before purchasing.

It sounds as though you have plenty of ceiling height. But for those who are unsure, the rule of thumb is to measure the total height of the two vehicles you're wanting to store and then add 10 inches. This will give you the minimum ceiling height required.

As for the foundation, if you're purchasing a four post parking lift, 4" of concrete is fine. These lifts are designed to be free standing and even portable with the optional casters.

If you're installing a two post automotive lift with a 9k or 10k lifting capacity, I recommend a minimum of 5" reinforced concrete 3000 psi. We provide the necessary anchor bolts. We also provide service and installation anywhere in the U.S. Installation fees for having a four post parking lift installed is typically around $600 just depending on your location. Two post lifts may cost a little less even though I feel they are more difficult to install. But for whatever reason, installers typically charge less to install a two post.

AW32 hydraulic fluid is recommended. Most installers will provide the oil without charging you any additional fees.

Most parking lifts offer 110v or 220v power. We recommend a 30 amp circuit regardless of which voltage motor you choose. If you only have 20 amps, the motor will still operate. Unless... you purchase an imported lifts. Most of the Chinese motors draw 30 amps.

If you'd like to receive information on any or our parking lifts/service lifts, please feel free to call me directly toll free at ***.***.**** or email me at *************. I'd be happy to send you information and answer any questions.

Best regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.