car not running right.. again - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 05:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

car not running right.. again

My car was running perfectly just a few days ago, now its running like crap again. I think its time i finally get rid of this car, i just cant keep something this unreliable. I traded for this car with a truck that was worth 8k. I thought i was getting a decent deal.. but no i wasnt. On top of trading my diesel truck for it, ive dumped over 4500 in this car the last 4 months. Thats for a new transmission, replacing things on the engine, and fixing other things. I have absolutely no more money.

Now my plug wires are falling apart, the crank bolt rounded off just as i started to adjust the left side of my engine valves. This car has been a nightmare. Now the car is nearly impossible to start. I know its the valves. I have to adjust them while running now since i cant turn the crankshaft bolt anymore and i just cant hear the clacking over the exhaust. Everytime i do it, the valves are extremly tight when im done even when im trying to make sure they are a little loose. Now when the car finally starts running, if i give it a little gas it shoots flames from the carb.. well this time it shot fuel out of the carb, then a fireball which engulfed all the fuel that just sprayed on the engine. SO yeah, my engine just caughed on fire. Scorched and melted alot of rubber hoses.

I knwo this isnt really a question, but i absolutely hate my car. I regret ever trading for it. Now im completely broke, cant make it to work, and have a car thats pretty much worthless. I never give up on a car. Ive had many cars before that hads lots of problems, but ive always fixed them. This is in the only car thats gave me so much trouble that its actually makin me depressed.

So i guess what im saying is, im actually giving up. I really dont even knwo what im even trying to ask.. just help me with the demon car. somedays it runs perfect, then it will run like absolute crap. I guess one question that would help.. how can i hear the valves over the rest of the engine? i guess i could give a long screwdriver a shot. but then again i have 2 plug wires that falling apart, so i cant really tell when they are adjusted right, because im still losing 2 cylinders.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It sounds like your chasing a problem that only appears now and then, since this is the case I`d say more than likely it`s in the ignition system somewhere. Many carb problems diagnose the same as ignition issues and this is where you get thrown off. Since the car runs good one day, then some days later starts spitting, then I would check the power going to the distributor, if it`s a HEI it must get a full 12 volts, if it gets less it`ll run but it`ll run like crap. Make sure the mechanical advance is working properly and isn`t sticking open or shut. I always adjust the valves with the engine running, that way I can adjust them to zero lash. If the exhaust is too loud for you to hear the valves when they clack, then round up some large enough hose to slip over the pipes so it quiets it enough for you to hear. Back off the rocker slowly until it starts to clack, then slowly tighten it to the point the clack stops, then give it about a half turn. Once you get the rockers back in shape and the plug wires squared up and check it for vacuum leaks dive into the ignition, that`s where I believe your problem lies. Another place it could be at is the fuel pressure, if you don`t have a fuel pressure gauge get one by all means. I`ve chased a fuel pressure problem before and one day It would run fine then another it would hardley run at all, but the issue wouldn`t be spitting, it would be flooding so it would bog down. Your case it maybe one day your getting enough fuel pressure and the next your not getting enough. Take a breather, gather your thoughts, don`t loose your temper at it, just think it`s a car and you can beat this problem, and that your gonna beat it, believing is half the battle. It may take time, but keep on it until you find it, then enjoy your ride. The benefit of this is what you`ll learn from it.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Check out this tool.
You may be able to borrow one from places like advance auto parts, o'riley's, or one of the other chain stores.
Rich

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66782/
Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker444
My car was running perfectly just a few days ago, now its running like crap again. I think its time i finally get rid of this car, i just cant keep something this unreliable. I traded for this car with a truck that was worth 8k. I thought i was getting a decent deal.. but no i wasnt. On top of trading my diesel truck for it, ive dumped over 4500 in this car the last 4 months. Thats for a new transmission, replacing things on the engine, and fixing other things. I have absolutely no more money.
THIS was you, just a few days ago. What in hell happened between then and now?

More to the point, what was the reason you took wrench in hand and started back on fixing it, after it had been running good? From there, following the course of events, there's no reason it can't be made to run right again.

I don't see why now- after putting the time and $$$ into it that you have, that you're just going to what- quit? Leave it sitting in the drive while you walk/take a bus/ride your bike?

You need to step away for a day or two, regroup and fix the damn thing!!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
THIS was you, just a few days ago. What in hell happened between then and now?

More to the point, what was the reason you took wrench in hand and started back on fixing it, after it had been running good? From there, following the course of events, there's no reason it can't be made to run right again.

I don't see why now- after putting the time and $$$ into it that you have, that you're just going to what- quit? Leave it sitting in the drive while you walk/take a bus/ride your bike?

You need to step away for a day or two, regroup and fix the damn thing!!
you dont understand.. this car is possessed. i have been wanting to quit after the first couple thousand. now this is getting ridiculous. i had to go back and readjust the valvles because another lifter stuck. so i had to take it out and clean it. then i was going back to readjust everything and now the bolt rounded off. either god hates me, or this car is satan himself. i live in an apartment complex right now, and im not allowed to even pop the hood, so i have to work on it in the middle of the night. everynight. its getting old. i need something that works now.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
you dont understand.. this car is possessed.
Call a priest? lol

But, no- the car's NOT possessed. You're overwhelmed. At the moment. If the bolt's rounded off, replace it- there are sockets made for that exact thing that are pounded onto the rounded head of the bolt so it can be removed.

Replace the burned wires and hoses, lash the valves, set the timing and drive the thing! This ain't rocket science.

I'd say that either the valves were too tight or the ignition timing had moved- causing the flame-on situation.

If you just give up, how much will you lose? I'm wondering if it's worth a bus ticket to go up there and buy your car, fix it at the local WalMart/Auto Zone parking lot and drive it home to GA. How much you want for it?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 AM

Last photo:

okay okay, you win. ill give it one more shot. it just looks so damn sexy in the parking lot to just give it away

well i guess spark plug wires is first. and ill have to order the crank tool that the other guy recommended also. ill have to borrow the money to buy them so they must be cheap. i asked what wires were good a day or 2 ago and a few said Taylor wires were good. I see that they have wires under $30, are they any good? Will there be much performance loss with cheaper wires? Thanks everyone for putting up with my whining here and there. LOL
Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
well i guess spark plug wires is first. and ill have to order the crank tool that the other guy recommended also. ill have to borrow the money to buy them so they must be cheap. i asked what wires were good a day or 2 ago and a few said Taylor wires were good. I see that they have wires under $30, are they any good? Will there be much performance loss with cheaper wires? Thanks everyone for putting up with my whining here and there. LOL
I didn't know you could get Taylor wires for that- they are (or were at one time, at least) good, quality wires. At that price, you might need to put the boots and terminals on them yourself, so check to be sure you have the tool to crimp the terminals and some silicone (it should be included) to ease the boots on.

If you remove the bottom pulley and use three different 3/8 fine thread bolts (so you don't mar the ones that you use for the pulley), you can screw them into the damper an inch or so, and use them for leverage to turn the crank over w/a long screwdriver or prybar. Put the tool you use to turn the crank, up close to the damper and not out on the ends of the bolts so they don't bend too much. A little is OK, but not so much that they are in danger of breaking off- which shouldn't be any problem.

To be clear on this- use two of the three bolts at a time, bridging across them w/the tool so you're turning the crank by the pair of bolts. As you turn the crank, you will reposition the tool to the different bolts as needed to continue to turn it over.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.