Hot Rod Forum banner

Car is painted!

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  sportbikeluvr 
#1 ·
Thanks to everyone that helped me lay out my paintbooth and ventilation. After many days of wetsanding and prep work I finnaly did it. I sprayed color 04/16/04 in the afternoon. I must say I was really scared but it ended up being the easiest part of the whole project! I had a little water in the lines toward the end so I have a little finish work to do. But overall I would call it an above average job for my first try. The color is 1973 porsche gulf Blue.

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
Looks great. Glad the painting went well. Everything Iv'e read and everyone I talked to said that the prep work was 90% of the job. I picked up the primer Saturday (ppg K36) for bc/cc. We're in a cold/windy/rainy weather pattern so i'm going to wait a day or two to paint.

#20 ·
Make sure that not only it is a good temp the day you paint but also thru the night. It got cool the night after I painted and the paint skinned over. It trapped the solvents in and made it tacky. I had to buff the car to release the solvents. Scared me for awhile. Thought I was going to have to strip it down and start over!:drunk:

#25 ·
I waited a month. Partly because of the skinning problem I had and also it was reccomended on this board to let the paint outgas to prevent bubbles under the vinyl. No clear coat. I used an acrylic enamal. I wouldnt clear over them even if I used a clear coat paint. Seems like a bad idea. And this way if I get sick of them I can just peel them off and have a new look!:)

#26 ·
deuce_454 said:
i am painting my first bike this weekend, a 1978 cb 750. the color is audi sahara metallic. acrylic urethane.

how long did you wait to put the vinyl stickers on the porsche?? and did you clear over them after??
Are you using bc/cc or ss?

fwiw- this topic has been discussed thoroughly on another forum I frequent. Ill be painting my bike real soon (hopefully!!!) using DuPont's Chroma line bc/cc. According to them, after shooting the bc they told me to wait atleast 15 hrs (u have a 24 hr window to cc) apply the decals then cc.
Some of the other experienced forum members seem to think it was a better idea to apply 2 wet coats of cc first, then apply the decals then spray another 2 coats.

Id say if ur decals are super thin Id go with the latter route, however, if they are on the thicker side and you really want them buried in ur cc Id consider the method relayed by DuPont.

Irregardless on which method you decide to go with, one tip Ive learned during my research that seemed like a good idea after applying the decals was to spray along the 'edges' of the decal first, let it flash then proceed cc'ing the entire panel. Supposedly this method helps smooth out that ridge.

Gdluck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.