Hot Rod Forum banner

Car Problems Trivia #1 (Winner gets a Prize!)

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  65GTO455 
#1 ·
I just wanted to spread some fun with you guys... its been a while since I have posted and I thought I would come flying back in with some car trivia.

Game Rules: Winner gets a used "Bone Daddy" bobblehead for figuring out the problem. Your allowed to ask questions, however I will only release enough information to keep it a mystery (without giving it away). I know what the issue was and it has been fixed.

So here it goes...
----------------------------------------
1986 Mercedes, 300E (gas) Inline 6, Automatic.
Problems consist of the following:

Struggles to go up hills

Car came from the factory with 180HP, however feels like it has 60.

Fuel economy remains the same.

Car noise consists of wwwhhhiiiiiiiiissssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS upon acceleration. (Very loud)

Struggles to rev above 3,000 RPM.

Will not drive above 65mph.

Mileage is close to 300k on the chassis and 220k on the engine.

Well there you have it! Winner gets a bobblehead! If this is a big hit, I look forward to others hosting similar Car Problems Trivia! (Maybe we can pass the bobblehead around).

Very best,

-Sam

See less See more
#4 ·
gearheadslife is correct!

PM me your shipping address and I will send you your prize!
----------------------------------------------
To keep it going, I have a bonus round... the prize is a small orange bowling pin with FLAMES!
Same car, but with the following symptoms:

Stalls on occasion.

Drives fine, then dies (at any speed).

Refuses to start after stalling.
Winner gets the bowling pin!

#9 ·
All good guesses, however the problem rests with with the fuel pump relay. When turning the key into the "on" position, a person would hear the fuel pump turn on. In this specific case, when the car died, the relay wouldn't tell the fuel pump to turn back on again. This particular problem left me stranded a couple of times.

Another good guess would be a faulty fuel pump. The fuel filter was my first guess as well, considering it had not been changed for 100k miles and over 7 years... followed by a new cap and rotor, for whenever I had starting issues, it has always led me to this. When those two didn't resolve the issue, I noticed the fuel pump not turning on. Its impossible to hear this when stranded on the side of the highway with cars zipping past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.