Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

car rotisserie

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  raidmagic 
#1 ·
I am planing to put my 1979 Malibu on a rotisserie for some rust repair.They say to balance it correctly you have to raise or lower one end of it.What has me confused is everything I build uses level as a ref.I will be replacing the floor pans as a example.Sound dumb,but how do you handle that being the body isn't level? Straight cuts etc?.:confused:

#4 ·
The weight on either end is somewhat irrelevant. What you are after is to have the car balanced on the rotisserie, in respect to rotation. Like already said, you need the center of gravity on the car to be in line with the center of rotation on the rotisserie. Most quality rotisseries will have a long threaded rod to "fine tune" everything once you get the car mounted. If you have it right, you can let go of the car in any position and it will not move on its own. One end may actually be a little higher than the other to get everything to turn correctly and not take off at some point due to being unbalanced. As for replacing floor pans on a rotisserie, be sure to weld in some bracing side to side, if you are planning to remove the full pan and braces, but the orientation of the car has no bearing on your cuts or welds. Measure and mark carefully, then make your cuts.

Kelly

#6 ·
I have never had a problem with a rotisserie being balanced and the body level.
The rotisserie I borrowed had adjusters on both ends that raise and lower the car.
I just set the body centerline level with the pivot point of the rotisserie with the adjusters at mid point.

Then it was just a process of going up or down equal turns on the adjusters until the balance point was found,and the car remained level.

The car moves up or down relative to the pivot points. Raising the car equal amounts in relation to the pivot points moves the cars center of gravity towards or away from the pivot points.

I have no idea how to do it with out the adjustable height rotating heads.

Here is a picture of how I am building my own.
Parts labelled h j i move up and down in relation to e using the jack screw mounted to the top of h and pushing against e.

the hydraulic cylinders lift the body up off the chassis jig or frame to a height adequate to rotate the body. They need to be set at an equal height , then pinned. Final adjustment is done as above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.