Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Car shakes in rear?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

dynamic balance

I have an old BEAR brand Balancer. It does both static balance and dynamic balance. static balance is like balancing a bicycle tire. It is free to turn by it's self and the heavy spot goes to the bottom. You wrap some wire around spokes on the light side until it doesn't turn. from any position on the clock That is how I balance the wire wheels on my 22 T antique racer. Dynamid balance is spin balancing. If you tie a lug nut on a 16 in piece of string and and slowly start spinning it horizontal, the string will NOT be horizontal at slow speeds. when you get it up to speed it will spin with the string horizontal. When the heavy spot on a tire is not centered but on either the inside or outside of the tire, at speed it will try to move that spot towards the center line giving you a wobble force. I don't remember what the factory spec was on wheel weights but I try to keep them under 6 oz. More than that and the tire will go on one of the farm trailers. or equipment for field use