Car show, strange entry? Or the norm? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 10:49 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Car show, strange entry? Or the norm?

I attended the Pontac show in Pigeon Forge this past weekend. Some really nice rides, some stockers but mostly modifieds, or slightly.

The strangest one to me was this 1968 Firebird. Near flawless car with about every rare option you could get.
400, 4 spd, Hood tach, PS, PB, deluxe interior, fold down rear seat, Tilt wheel, Power windows no less, wheel well chrome, viny top, about anything you could imagine on a 68.
Now I understand the B-cool radiator and maybe even the air cleaner, although I'd have swapped breathers for the show. But to have Air shocks and those Cragers on a car like that at a judged show? Seems a little wierd to me.
Fine for a cruise in or personal use but a show? This car was magazine worthy.

What's everyone else doing regarding show time? Especially if you have a near perfect optioned out car. Would you take the time to put the original wheels on for show?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	681.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	12611   Click image for larger version

Name:	682.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	12612  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho
. But to have Air shocks and those Cragers on a car like that at a judged show?
there was a time when that was the thing to do, jack the car up & stuff the widest tire as u could under it...

Quote:
Fine for a cruise in or personal use but a show?
what's the problem??? it's a nice car, he paid the entry fee & he wants to show it. hell i drove our 40 chevy in primer for 10yrs & went to car shows all over the midwest. had lots of folks ask me questions about it & loved the car. he didnt build the car for u or me, he built it for himself & if he's happy w/it that's all that matters..

Quote:
What's everyone else doing regarding show time? Especially if you have a near perfect optioned out car. Would you take the time to put the original wheels on for show?
mmmmm lets see i'd get there when i wanted to, enjoy the day, eat some BBQ, see some old friends & meet some new ones. as for the wheels, hell if thats the rims & tires i wanted on my car thats what i would run, cause i don't know about anyone else but i always build my cars for "ME" & not anyone else & if they don't like WELLLLLLLLL that's thier problem not mine........joe
Old 06-05-2006, 11:51 AM
User

Last photo:

Thats kind of weird that someone would go through the trouble to restore something like that, thats got all of those options you don't see that often, then put some stuff like that on there. If you really wanted to, you might be able to sell it, then buy you a pretty nice stripped Firebird, and have money left over.

Maybe he found the car without a radiator, breather, and a set of wheels.

Its funny what people will do to rare-ish cars though.

-GF
Old 06-05-2006, 12:12 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Wasn't implying a problem with the guy himself, or his taste in rims.

The fact remains it was a judged show for class trophy's. Having major deducts for something that is easily changed out just seemed odd.

It would be like having the potential winner of a beauty contest decide to wear blue jeans and flip flops in the evening gown competition just because that's what she likes to wear. Yes you can, but it doesn't make any sense.

And by the way, this car was trailered in from several states away.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I´ve always thought the Pontiacs were nicer than the Camaro,
wierd to see rear tires hanging out like that.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

If it was me and I had a car like that I would have put the original stuff back on it for the show. Then after the show put the others back on. Dont really like the look of the tires stickin out the side though........
Old 06-05-2006, 02:29 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I agree with you 428ho. I think that kind of set up looks very tacky.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

A few years back, I got talked into going to an all Pontiac car show at MHCC and I gotta tell ya... Some of those Pontiac Purists are an interesting bunch. The Club that put the gig on went shopping for entries with two Non-Pontiac classes and I went with the pre-55 NP class. With the way some of these guys eyeballed down all the killer non-Pontiac stuff that came out that day, Youd'a thunk you were at some sort of Injun Concourse De'elegance or something - it was real comical. There were no less than 25 Pontiac classes in that show and you shoulda watched 'em politic over the trophies - what a hoot!
Myself, I'm a hotrodder. I could care less if a guy has a so- called rare mussle car and chooses to go with an aluminum radiator, dual reservoir master cyl./ power disc brake setup and something other than a tar-top battery. This is bolt-on stuff that simply makes a car more road worthy. If you can't drive 'em, they're no fun at all. Its truly funny to watch the purists have a cow over stuff like that.

As far as stance and choice of wheels goes, to each his own. Over the years, I agree, some flash-in-the-pan fads have really taken what looks stupid to new levels. The beauty of being a participant voter at an open show is you have the right to sort 'em ALL out, regardless of make or model and BOY, do I reserve that right!

Love it
Old 06-05-2006, 11:16 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I could care less to win a cheap plastic trophy at a show, let alone change a set of wheels to win one.

On a side not, let me take a guess...the driver of that car had a mullet?
Old 06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

most of the guys with the real nice cars here look like they are still wearin the same blue jeans they wore in 5th grade just cut the bottoms off so they are shorts, shirts look the same way. Hair well lets just say their barber always knows how to cut their hair (mullet)
Old 06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here you go....
Set that Firebird next to this incredible kustom and it WILL be a beautiful thing...

To each his own guys... Who are we to judge anything that we didn't build? I build what I like and anybody that doesn't like it can go to the Devil for all that matters to me... Granted there is a lot of stuff out there I wouldn't be caught dead in but, if the owner thinks it's his cup of tea, I am not going to argue with him...
Mark
Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 PM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer
Here you go....
Set that Firebird next to this incredible kustom and it WILL be a beautiful thing...

To each his own guys... Who are we to judge anything that we didn't build? I build what I like and anybody that doesn't like it can go to the Devil for all that matters to me... Granted there is a lot of stuff out there I wouldn't be caught dead in but, if the owner thinks it's his cup of tea, I am not going to argue with him...
Mark

i would consider myself open-minded but that is the ugliest thing i have ever seen
Old 06-06-2006, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

it is a bit tacky... however , apparently he likes it.
If I was showing it to win a plastic trophy, sure, I see your point... if not , & is just displaying it, it wouldnt matter to me. Was it in a restored class ? or did they have a seperate class for modified cars? Is odd if he trailered it a long ways to display it, but maybe he was in town for a wedding or something anyways. who knows.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

I have to agree with PrimeMover, purists are an interesting bunch. I have never liked that kind tire/wheel treatment on either a Firebird or Camero even when that was the thing to do. But, that is just my personal preference. From the looks of the car and the description I would stop, look and appreciate the quality of the work done. More power to the guy for building the car the way he wants it.

I drive a 63 Impala SS my dad ordered from the factory and I drove in high school. It is a restored matching numbers car. I guess if you are into that kind of thing thats great. As for me I've got that thing on the ground with polished IROC rims. You should see the purists react to that. Now that is weird.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Well since it's not my car I can't tell the owner how to use the ar or what it has to look like?

I know a guy who bought a nice '57 Chevy convertible, yanked out the original 283 and powerglide. He shoved a 396 with a blower in the car and used costom wheels on it too. It was a black car so it was pretty nice to being with.

I'd hate for someone to tell me "I" have to make my car like they want it to be. (OH wait, that has happened)

The general tastes now seem to be towards modified cars over the stock ones. I've seen this somewhat first hand. People at a car show or cruise in will climb all over the cars or trucks with a blower. Sure they look at the stock, original cars. Just not as hard.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.