Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Car Shows, My Car, & Modified Vs. Stock Class.
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Car Shows, My Car, & Modified Vs. Stock Class.

I am swapping out the stock intake and carburetor for a Camaro Crossfire intake and a pair of older Rochester MonoJet carburetors, only until I can get the wiring harness and all associated components necessary to hook up the dual Rochester model 400 TBI units.

I have been told by tech inspectors at a couple shows that I could enter under the stock classification with the paint color of the car, I am planning on repainting the car in the future (who knows when) and can use the similar shade of Chevrolet's "Bright Yellow" for 1981, but I would rather have the more bright and bold custom mixed yellow I am using on the car now.

They also informed me that even though I have a TH-700R4 (which was never available in 1981 or the Malibu model car for it's generation), that if I hadn't put it on the show pre-registration application they would have never looked for it or counted it towards the usual three modification or less Stock class.

I am using a set of wheels that were only available on Chevrolet Camaro in 1987 and were then discontinued. They are still Chevrolet Rally wheels, and still technically count toward the three and Modified rule, but most third generation Camaro owners who attend shows opted to use the larger 16 inch, or aftermarket wheels to suit their own taste.

I am thinking of having the car "teched" for a couple of the larger shows I attend but making it a habit to check the "modified" box for the rest of them.

I have been put into classes in different car shows that include model year cars from 1973 through 2005, when the next row or two over they seperate similar make and model cars three times in the 1960's alone, just because I chose to enter in the stock class.

Everything I am using to make the changes on my car are options on different year and model Chevrolets, but still qualify as a modofication.

The one thing I cannot argue as non original is the interior color (Light Gray), as it was never available in the 6th generation Malibu model.

The front air-dam, and the trunk mounted spoiler were available additions for the Malibu through a dealer program that sent the 1980 model year Malibu's to Choo-Choo Customs in Tennessee and given a model name of M80.
Some of the things used on the M80 were also included in the 1980 and later years of the Elcamino SS.

So with the paint color (1), the intake manifold and air cleaners (2), if they don't mention the wheels (3), the interior color (4), the overdrive transmission (5), or the air-dam and spoiler (6), should I just either enter modified or let them tech me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9110159.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	9383   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9110167a.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	9384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side Interior2.JPG
Views:	115