Car Shows - Year limit? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Car Shows - Year limit?

For quite awhile, we have had the big controversy of year of make cutoffs at some of the big events (NSRA, Goodguys, etc.), but I was wondering what you all had to say about the small (100 - 200 car) local shows? Think there should be a minimum age cutoff?

Today, I was at a local Top 50 show that had about 150 cars in attendance. At least 10 (maybe 12) of the Top 50 were cars that were 2000 and newer. The overwhelming majority of these cars had little to no mods, and the mods they did have were bolt on bling.

What are the thoughts out there on this? Also, what is more important when judging cars - shiny or workmanship?

Personally, I do not go to shows for a trophy (just one more thing to find a place for and dust ), but I heard alot of grumbling at the show today from some of the traditional hot rodders about the newer cars so I kinda wanted to get other people's perspectives.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

space limits

Around here they haven't ran out of space so everyone is still welcome. And the antique car club has a don't ask don't tell policy about modifications that are not period correct. just for being there, but not for judging
Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

some times it gets annoying when i had my 76 ford f100 i had a friend that had a 73 f100 we went to show where only 74 and older vehicles where allowed so i couldn't put my truck in but my buddy could i thought it was ridiculous we had the same truck but rules are rules what could i do at least he won best unrestored
Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Unless they have a different class for the new cars that are less than 20 years old they shouldn't be able to compete. You can't license a new car as a classic or street rod. The cutoff I believe in most states is 20 years to get a classic plate. I think that would be a pretty good rule to go by.

Even giving them a best in show award shouldn't be allowed unless they have a specific one for that class. It's impossible to judge a new car against a classic or street rod. It's called the NSRA for a reason. New cars AREN'T street rods.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
New cars AREN'T street rods.
They were in 1970.......and if you think of the performance of some of these cars today, same applies
That said, they arent classics....so I guess it depends on how the organizers want to present their show

Budget RVs
Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

This is my opinion and it will probably reflect the similar opinions that have already been posted.

If I want to see a newer vehicle, I'll go to a dealership's new or used car lot. Shiny wheels, 20,000 watt gold plated stereos and "Phart" can mufflers on an 07 Civic do not a classic or hot rod make. There are shows for these vehicles. If these shows are to far away for people that own a basically stock 5 year old Mustang...then perhaps they need to start their own show, there are enough of those years of Mustang's around to make a club or show.

That being said, there are newer vehicles that have had extensive modifications done to them that I do enjoy seeing. There have been 2010 and up Camaro's that have been made to look like newer bodied Firebirds. 2008 and up Challenger's that are equipped with supercharger's and suspension upgrades that are extremely fast and reliable. What about early to mid 90's Mustang's, Camaro's and Firebird's that have had extensive machining and more durable engine speed parts installed along with interior modifications, altered suspensions. Some of these non 20 to 30 year old cars have a great deal of craftsmanship and attention to detail. I enjoy seeing any car, year make or model that has had modifications made that are an upgrade from stock. These are the cars that can often give others ideas that they can incorporate on their own vehicles or what they might be building for others.

Should they be allowed at shows, IMO, that should be up to the organizer's of the event...I have never seen an 06 Mazda 3 at Pebble Beach, they have rules. If it's an open show, then that Civic I mentioned earlier will show up, I can choose to ignore it, shake my head and wonder why is he's there but, he will have as big a following with people bending down marveling at that 4 inch opening in the muffler with the main question being "where did you buy the blacked out tail light lenses" as that exceptionally restored 34 Ford, 1970 Boss 302, that 69 Z28 or any Hemi car from the 60's or 70's.

When it comes to judging a car, I feel it should be a combination of all elements that go into building a vehicle. The main criteria being fit, finish and design. With an investment of just over 40 hours, anyone can have a real shiny car (several hours paint time and about 40 hours for color sand and buff)...it's the craftsman that makes that car straight, panels fit with even gaps, detail and forethought when looking at interior work, engine and suspension engineering and design, before it's painted and polished. Sometimes that takes thousands and thousands of hours.

Ray
Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

It's all up to the show/ event organizers - judged, classes, type of vehicle. Local shows just often need the cars to at least pay for their costs of running a show. While no longer owning any, I was into Fox body Mustangs in the '80s. I had fun with like minded folks who showed them and did win my share of trophies. These cars along with other kinds of cars have their lovers vs hot rods so in my mind, yes, there is a place. Again, if a judged show, I for sure don't want my '31 parked alongside of that 2013 Mustang/Camaro/Charger and judged the same way. Heck, I don't even care if I win anything - I've already gone though that experience - but just be fair with your interpretation and the accomplishment of my building a car. Then you get to cruise ins - have a ball with whatcha brung. NSRA, Goodguys - they do have their rules and as I've said before, economics have driven them to move outwards from that original line in the sand, 1948 for NSRA, just to stay in business. Snivel all you want about that year being violated, but if you want those organizations to remain in business, something had to change and the rolling year came along. Would I prefer the 1948 cut off? Sure, but there are fewer and fewer people that can find a decent street rod donor car or even afford to put one together from scratch when the cost of living beyond a bare subsistance level has exceeded a bunch of folks income.

It is what it is - and if a show organizer 'needs' newer cars to survive, then that's life.

Dave W
Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I haven't attended a formal car show in many years but when I did, and if there were new cars, I simply passed them by if they had nothing of interest to me. Very similar to threads on this forum- don't like the subject? That's fine, just keep on going...
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
Yeah if they let everything in a car show there's going to get well.....everything. I walk past what doesn't interest me. Is is a shame there is a 2008 Dodge Charger with a V6 and the only mod is the aftermarket wheels? Yep, I rather see a neat old car, but I just walk by. As far as there being trophy's man you can never care about that or you will go nuts. I was the judge at a good sized show once and boy did I learn how goofy that crap is first hand. But really, it boils down to having fun with cars and people. If you win, cool, if not, then cool too. At the last show I was in a car won over mine that I am sorry, it wasn't even close, it wasn't even in the same ball park as my car and a couple others. But you know what, I had a GREAT time meeting a number of new friends and some surprises running into people it was a great time. I rolled out of there with a smile on my face even though no trophy and a bunch of near stock 2012 Camaros and crap.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 09-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

It all depends on how the show is promoted. A number of shows are themed for the purist, i.e Mustangs only, nothing over 1972 and so on. If the show is not defined then pretty much anything goes. While you might not be interested in cars beyond a certain year someone else is. I personally don't give a crud for anything over 1965 but that's my taste. I think one's age has a lot to do with one's interest. For the most part the younger one is, the newer the vehicle. Car shows are about interest and pride. My interest is pre 1965 cars. The guy with the 2008 Camaro is prideful of what he's done to his car and want's everyone to see it. Both of us are right. It all boils down to that old adage, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." For me seeing anything much newer than 1968 is just like walking through a parking lot. For other it might be like walking through a museum.
If you don't like it, just walk on by.

BB
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
35terraplane (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

many events in se michigan are going to a 30 year old rolling cut off.
those are the events i choose to attend.

i don't like new cars at shows, i don't attend events that let them in either
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

We call them "The Corvette Guys" They buy a brand new car, wash it wax it real good, tire shine it and bring it to a show.

Should they be allowed? It's up to the show sponsors. Personally I think if its newer than 30 years old you better have some pretty serious customizing on it. Rims and wax don't count! Some people are just delusional about their cars.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
At a car show I judged once there was one of those late little T-birds, this is when they were new. So as the judges walk up to it I am thinking what exactly do I judge, what radio station they are listening too? How much air in the tires? Judge what, it's a new car, the color they picked? Geeez

Brian
Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

True, and as Booth Boy said, "it is all in the eye of the beholder", I don't mind seeing a new Corvette, or Viper or Ferrari, or Lamborghini...Don't think I'd want to see a whole show full of only New Corvettes but I'd rather see that than a 2014 Chevy Volt, or that 07 Civic.

We all have our own preference and that's part of what makes the car culture so great. As irritating as an 07 Civic is to me, if we only had one car, one year, one make, one model....there really wouldn't be a car culture. We can choose to accept that as long as there are car manufacturer's putting out cars, tastes are going to be different and you have every right in the world to feel that an 84 Toyota shouldn't be at a show. However, the body style on that 83 isn't going to be much different...so where do you draw the line? Or do you just accept that people are different and we all have the right to like and dislike whatever we choose and we can determine what goes to shows by setting up guide lines, rules and regulations. We do limit our selves in some respect if we do that, but, if we have large enough following, whatever we choose will be a success.

Ray
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
At a car show I judged once there was one of those late little T-birds, this is when they were new. So as the judges walk up to it I am thinking what exactly do I judge, what radio station they are listening too? How much air in the tires? Judge what, it's a new car, the color they picked? Geeez

Brian
Absolutely not! It should have been judged by the amount of wax that had been applied.

BB

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.