Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Car shutting off while driving. Help!
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 09:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Car shutting off while driving. Help!

The car is a 1998 supercharged 3.8 buick regal. While driving down the road, the car frequently shuts off for an unknown reason. I pulled the codes off of the computer, and p1404 came up indicating a faulty egr valve or carbon build up in the manifold. I spent 180 bucks on a new egr valve and ran seafoam through the motor. Granted, the engine runs better now, but that did not fix the problem. The alternator is putting out 14.3 volts, so it's great. After I did that work, with the car running I turned the headlights on and then back off and the car completely shut off. The car would immediately start back up, but now it will not. It has shut off and will not crank back up and is currently decorating the side of I-26. I was thinking of replacing the ignition switch, but I can't afford to waste anymore money. I also don't want to tear into the dash or steering column with no definite idea. Any help will be appreciated.