Hot Rod Forum banner

Car Sketches

18K views 56 replies 12 participants last post by  DVierstra 
#1 ·
Here are some my quick idea sketches. I have about 10-15mins at the most in each. These are only general ideas, not finals. Im a first semester Auto/product design student
Quick line sketch

First version

Second version

Third version

some other random sketches

See less See more
#8 ·
t66turbocobra , Thank u. like anything, time comes with experince. Once u have done something enough, you get faster. If I may ask, what is your profession?
My profession is Artist: Illustrator, Graphic designer, concept artist, muralist,
logo designer etc. Well rounded I would say. But my passion is automotive illustration, designer. Thanks for asking.

Kusto said:
Thats exactly what I tell the wife... :evil:
That's funny. Like the wit Kusto! :cool:

DV

#9 ·
DVierstra said:
t66turbocobra ,

My profession is Artist: Illustrator, Graphic designer, concept artist, muralist,
logo designer etc. Well rounded I would say. But my passion is automotive illustrator, designer. Thanks for asking.

Thank u. like anything, time comes with experince. Once u have done something enough, you get faster. If I may ask, what is your profession?

That's funny. Like the wit Kusto! :cool:

DV
My gf is a freelance graphic designer aswell. Im going to school to become a product designer or a automotive designer.

#10 ·
Nice drawing for the time you spent..

It looks like a sanding block.

But then again, all them fancy new cars look like sanding blocks to me.

Do you draw hot rods?

later, mikey

#13 ·
79C10 said:
These look like a Beemer hatch-back crossed with any new Pontiac. Not knockin your skills , just stating.... these don't look like anything new. :rolleyes:
Hotrods are the bacon! :evil:
a sanding block...... :thumbup: you're killin me! :spank:
I think there is a reason hot-rods are not made any more or never were made. Hot-rods are custom, not a factory product. Thats why "SANDING BLOCKS" are the design of choice now a days. Its not 1950 anymore.

#14 ·
most every one here still lives in a decade of long ago most of the time...

be nice it will happen to you too!

To be honest I cant tell any of them apart any more.
Stickers & wheels before too long they will all be made from the same mold .

a sanding block?

You are too kind.

I would have said somthing else {not to pick on your skills t66turbocobra } I cant draw a stick with out a ruler

R :thumbup:

#15 ·
I agree. cars today all look alike and need to step out of the box. I agree the design i posted does look like alot of cars. To be honest thats y american cars dont do that well. Not knocking us cars. I love them. Thats all i drive, but foreign design is superior to us design. I havent moved to the design classes yet; thats next semester. Right now Im just learning how to draw the forms and understand what a car really looks like in 2D

#18 ·
t66turbocobra said:
I think there is a reason hot-rods are not made any more or never were made. Hot-rods are custom, not a factory product.
Your youth shows in this statement.
I'll just throw out a couple.
49 Merc. 72 Chevelle. 67 GTO 57 Chevy . Any Corvette.
:evil: 67 Sport Fury 3 . :evil:

67 Mustang Fastback. Mustang GT Cobra 350 or 500. 72 Skylark GS. 68 Camaro convertable. and many many others. anyone else care to add to the list?
The "factory" made some damn good "hotrods".

#19 ·
t66turbocobra said:
I think there is a reason hot-rods are not made any more or never were made. Hot-rods are custom, not a factory product. Thats why "SANDING BLOCKS" are the design of choice now a days. Its not 1950 anymore.

You should study some history. I thought design guys still did that. It isn't 1950 anymore , but the retro thing is making alot of folks very happy.

Actually, what we call "hot rods" started out being factory designs, modified by the owner or his/her favorite custom shop, to suit the individual tastes of the owner. The bodies are many times unchanged from their original configuration, yet are no less "hot rod".

Drawings were and still are made to help folks visualize their car before it gets made in real live metal stuff.

That's why I asked if you drew hot rods.

There are a few guys here who do that for our members, as this is a place for folks to help each other.. My avatar pic was drawn by malc, with suggestions from me, based on my preferences, and it and the others he did for me will help me when it comes time to get r done.

I rather like the individual statements still being made by people who don't like following trends started by guys in offices. I have no problem being a minority in the general, non-hotrodder population though.

Later, mikey

#20 ·
Yes it does. I'am 24 and I was born in 83. Sorry for my ignorance. I cant change my age. The only thing in my control is to change with the time. I'm done with this topic.... Im the young guy. I know my place; I'll just step back from this subject. Thank you for everyones comments. I appreciated it.

#21 ·
I guess what we all are tying to say is

I will use music as a example well the distribution of thus said music.
sort o a short history lesson

Present time

~I pods
~Walk man C D players
~Walk man cassette player
~8 Track player
~Reel to Reel tape deck
~FM Radio
~Lp & 45 vinyl records
~AM Radio
Play the music yourself or go to where the musicians are.

In order for you to progress you must understand the past.

You can never know everything that happened before your time but you can pick up tid bits here & there from people who where there.
I was born in 1966 I wish I would have been born 10 years or so earlier because those are the cars I like the most .{starting in the 50's}

NOW that being said . . .If I had your talent i would go to our picture gallery & poke around for a while you might get some inspiration there don't just back off because someone pokes a little fun at you.

Poke back!

The difference between the office & the shop is dirt ,greasy dirt . :thumbup:

Its not easy being Fat & greasy

:thumbup:

#22 ·
t66turbocobra said:
Yes it does. I'am 24 and I was born in 83. Sorry for my ignorance. I cant change my age. The only thing in my control is to change with the time. I'm done with this topic.... Im the young guy. I know my place; I'll just step back from this subject. Thank you for everyones comments. I appreciated it.
Hey , man.... I didn't mean to come off as being critical of your drawing. You got skills. mad skills , no boutadoubit. You could outdraw me , any day - hands down. I was just taking advantage of someone asking my opinion on their 'art' . You have to be prepared for people to not like your stuff. Even the good stuff. Alot of people think Rembrandt was a great artist. I think an inspired 1st grader could do as well , but that's my opinion.
I can do guitar solos that would break the fingers of some of todays more popular players , but not everyone likes my songs.
I am ready to take criticism , though , because I put my art out there to be judged.
With your skills , try re-doing a classic , but with your own 'modern' spin on it... kinda like a cover song. It's been done before , but you do it your own way.
I definitely did come off the wrong way at first , and I apologize.
This site is usually a great place to get advice , just watch what you ask people.... they just might tell ya !
whaddoo I look like - an idiot?
yep.
Later , man :D

#23 ·
HEY !

YO!

Wadda yoo louk like sumkinda freakin' ideodt OVE HEA!

UNF*EAKIN' BELEIVABLE. YOO Dink I'm Hea for your freaking amuzement?!?!

Whaht I'm Sum Kind of Comeadian fir your laughin' pleasure?

Heh?

HEH?

{im not even going for the spell checker} :thumbup:

:thumbup:

#24 ·
Everything is cool guys. Im not mad by any means. I deal with teachers critiquing my work all day long. I just wanted to stop talking about what design should look like. Everyones taste of what cars should look like is thier own personal taste. So know one is right or wrong. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I guess thats the best way to say it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.