car stalls when put in gear after warm up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

car stalls when put in gear after warm up

History,1969 corvette 350/auto.This car was a manual trans car a was converted to auto(Dont ask why)Almost everything in this car is brand new.I got this car because the owner said it wouldn't stay running.It has MSD dist,wires coil,6A box.I just put on a brand new holley 600 4160 carb because that was the only part that wasn't new and looked to be pieced together.First off the choke pulls off way to soon.So I get it running and I keep the idle at about 900 because its running a little lumpy.Don't know if its the cam or something else.stock intake with an adaptor plate.Heres the real problem.Once the car is fully warmed up,If i step on the brake and put it in gear,it drops right out and stalls.When I got the car it was idleing at 1500.That was someone elses fix.Its almost like it has a 800 stall converter or something.Plenty of fuel.what could this be?HELP!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Get rid of the adapter plate, those things are nothing but band aides that belong in the trash. They disrupt the vacuum signal, turn a dual plane intake into a single plane because of the open design which causes the idle to run rich because one cylinder is drawing off both idle circuits and not just one.
Next is you need to know the cam specs, if it`s a high performance cam it needs a stall converter. What happens is a large cam`s overlap makes the engine lope at idle, the engine doesn`t have enough low end torque at idle to overcome the drag of the torque converter so it won`t idle. Get rid of the adapter plate then see what it does.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

I need the adaptor plate to convert the spread bore intake to a square bore carb.Thats the way the car came.Its going to be very hard to find out cam specs.its been through a few people.I never had a problem like this before.What vacuum circuts are being affected by this?Could a different plate help this?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Oh, it also has a TCI trans converter unknown
Old 07-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

A cammed up motor needs a high stall torque converter and needs the distributor recurved.

Measure the intake manifold vacuum at 1000 rpm in neutral
what is this amount and what is the timing at 1000 rpm (no vacuum advance)
What does the manifold vacuum drop to when in gear. what does the timing drop to when in gear (no vacuum advance) This will give a indication of the camshaft duration size.

Plan on getting a new torque converter and recurving the distributor to get the curve right.

The carb will need a power valve swap. usually a 4.5" power valves does it.

The carb adapter has to go. There are many good holley/square flange intake manifolds that will fit under the stock corvette hood when used with the correct GM corvette air cleaner.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Is the intake a stock Quadrajet intake? original for the engine? If so then I think I know what the problem is, let me know soon as you can.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

yes its the original rock intake from 69.I don't want to be a parts changer,I'm trying to get this right.I never had a problem like this.This car is a nightmare.It also blew up the water pump taking out the rad,fan,fan shroud.very expensive fix.now I'm stuck trying to figure this out,as this was the original problem.intake swap is not an option.almost all original till the trans swap and this stupid carb swap.I know a lot of you hate the rochester,but I always had no problems with them.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Then get an adapter plate that is NOT open in the middle. Also the converter could be shot. As in not spinning freely. Does it look new?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

All these parts were installed within the last 6 months.Its a TCI thm350.I'm not sure if they matched the converter to the cam.The car was a 4 speed car and when the current owner wanted it he said he wanted an automatic car so they swapped it.Would a four hole adaptor plate make that much a diff?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Change the cam to something that will work with the stock converter.

Install a Qjet. A long duration cam will not idle in gear with a stock low stall converter. its that simple.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Okay, take the carb off, and the adapter, now, look at the carb mounting flange. Right in front of the 2 primary holes, are there 2 small holes right in front of them connected by a trough? Most don`t know what they are, they are the original placement of the heat riser passages from the heads. They were put there to direct the hot exhaust gases into the intake to quickly heat it up to reduce cold start time and eliminating carb icing. It takes a special gasket, metal plate, gasket configuration to cover these holes, as if they are left open the exhaust gas goes freely into the intake manifold. Since it`s exhaust gas it can`t be burned again, it severely dilutes the mixture so badly the engine runs like complete crap no matter how much you tune it.
It also causes alot of mysterious problems that don`t make any sense. It was around 1970 when they redesigned this feature so the exhaust gas went under the intake plenum. If this is a issue you have 2 options, get the correct gasket and a Quadrajet, or get a aftermarket intake such as a edelbrock performer.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

good call on the exhaust heat track leak
Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

how about plugging the holes?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I tried that once on a similar old 1966 396/325hp intakewith the exhaust heat track in the carb flange. Lasted only a few days. Ended up getting the proper shim plate and gasket from the dealer.

You could block off the passages at the intake/head flange gasket. with sheet metal shims.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Last photo:

pulled the adaptor plate and yes it has that crossover channel.It was totally blocked off with the gasket.This is crazy, I never had a problem like this before with adaptor plates or intakes or anything like this.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.