Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - car still WHEEL HOPS why????
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TurboS10, Please don't take this as a aggressive response. You are confused slightly. I don't know how much chassis dynamics you do know so I will explain. If you already know this then good,will be elementary for you.

As engines turn counter-clockwise the torque of the engine will attempt to lift the left front tire. That weight, expressed in pounds, will be transfered the the right rear. If you ever watch a circle track race you would have surely heard of cross weight's,weight jacking or wedge. They all mean the same thing. It just a theory that states when you move weight from one corner the opposite corner's weight will decrease as well as increase the the adjacent corners weights

Lets say you have a table top with four legs. If you friend stands in the middle of the table than the weight of you friend will be the same on all four legs. If you friend moves to the right then the weight will be increased on the right side and reduced on the left side. If you friend moves to the right rear than the weight increase will follow him wherever he go's.

Engine torque lifting the left front "leg" will make you friend lean his body toward the left front in order to keep himself sliding off. This will increase the weight of the right rear and left rear(although not to the same extent as the right rear) because of the weight transfer. This act of weight movement will load the right rear first.

Take a look at my avatar, that's me in the yellow car, No. 11. This car makes 770 horsepower at 8600 RPM with a RPM limit of 9200, using methanol fuel. If you look real close you can see that the left front tires is lifted nearly a foot off the ground. This pic was taken while coming out of the middle of the corner. I get back on the throttle just before mid-corner and the engine torque coupled with good forward bite and indexing of the bird cages will transfer weight to the right rear so violently that the wheel will lift and it will be carried all the way down the chutes. It only comes down for a split second while braking to make the next corner. This is a classic example of weight distribution. I have tried to add weight from the right rear and add it to the left front(called weight jacking, Nascar uses screws in the back glass to do the same thing) to move the weight around to keep the front down so it will steer better. But I lose a certain amount turn in weight on the left front in mid turn due to the weight transfer to the rear when the bird cages index and moves the weight. So it's easier and faster for me to just three wheel it. The left front tire only touches the ground twice for about a total of three seconds on 12 1/2 second lap time.

I hope I have explained this well enough. Please feel free to reply and challenge anything I have said.