car storage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 AM

Last journal entry: Con't
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

car storage

I store my cars over the winter in a cold pole barn. I have always tried to start them and let them warm up a couple times over the winter. I am wondering if all those cold starts and short runs are doing more harm than good. Any opinions??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchip
I store my cars over the winter in a cold pole barn. I have always tried to start them and let them warm up a couple times over the winter. I am wondering if all those cold starts and short runs are doing more harm than good. Any opinions??
i know one thing that when you open the large doors to let warm air in because it's cold inside , that they sweat and makes them rust .
gas tanks are the worse , bare metal like cranks , heads ,blocks and such .
the metal sweets like a glass of ice water you set on the table .
best to warm entire shop and leave a fan on 24 - 7.
interior will mold also .
Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

storage

i also store my car in the cold.. but i never start it up after i put her to bed.. my last ride is with new oil and filter, stabil in fuel and put about 5 miles on it. put in garage where i want it and turn off fuel and run till it is about to die... i then spray in a storage oil that i use in my boat engine and that will kill the engine.. cover still spring. now when u first fire it up its gonna smoke for 5 minutes.. do'n this for 12yrs with no problems.. bill
Old 03-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Get out the ducktape...

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Front brakes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Youve gotta think that every time you start up a really cold engine youre getting several seconds with little or no oil pressure on a running engine.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill
i also store my car in the cold.. but i never start it up after i put her to bed.. my last ride is with new oil and filter, stabil in fuel and put about 5 miles on it. put in garage where i want it and turn off fuel and run till it is about to die... i then spray in a storage oil that i use in my boat engine and that will kill the engine.. cover still spring. now when u first fire it up its gonna smoke for 5 minutes.. do'n this for 12yrs with no problems.. bill
I've been doing almost exactly what Bill describes above for 9 years,and I also wash it beforehand,and I spray the underneath & inside the doors & everywhere I can with Rust Check.Also,take any floor mats off of the carpet,and I leave the trunk bare.I put it away with a full tank of gas,this helps keep condesation out of the fuel tank.Unhook and/or remove the battery too.I cover mine with a 4 layer cover as well,& its nice & clean when I get it out.
Guy
Old 03-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

I do pretty much all that when I put them up for winter plus rat poison, mothballs fabric softener sheets etc. The starting is my question. I always heard it was good to start them up every month or so and warm them up to get everything lubed. But I got to thinking this might do more harm than good - starting a cold engine with slowly developing oil pressure. If I was in a climate where I could drive them a little I could see some advantages with seals and stuff. If I had unlimited funds Id keep heated and dehumidified, but I dont.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

Any time you run the engine and don't bring it up to full operating temps for around 10 min. you introduce fuel and moisture contaminates into the oil supply which will form acids, and we all know what acid does to metal.

If you don't start your engine at all during long periods of storage oil eventually drains off of the metal surfaces which so desperately need it to prevent corrosion. Fog the cylinders with fogging oil all you want, but it's not doing your camshaft any favors.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:06 AM

Last photo:

So Stroker you think I should start them and run 10 - 15 min monthly regardless how cold it is? thats the "lesser of 2 evils?

thanks all
Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 AM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

i have been parking my mustang for 6 years now over the winter. i change the oil , put the car on jack stands just high enough to take weight off of tires. i place it under a caliaforna car cover . i'll start it once a month let it warm up the full operating temp. i never had any problems , just replaced the battery last winter " it was 10 years old " it still started the car except on the coldest day.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.