Car thieves using VIN #s - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Post Car thieves using VIN #s

Don't know if it is true or not but sounds credible. I got this in one of those anonymous office emails.

“Just heard this on the news here locally. Apparently car thieves have yet again found a way around the system and steal your car or truck with hardly any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go into the local dealership for that car brand and request a duplicate key for it from the VIN number. Car dealerships make up a duplicate key from the VIN number, collect payment from the 'customer' who's really a would-be car thief for making up the duplicate key -- the car thief goes back to your vehicle, inserts the key they've just gotten and off they drive with your car or truck. They don't have to break in, don't have to damage the vehicle and draw attention to themselves as all they have to do is to walk up to your car, insert the key and off they go to their chop shop with your vehicle!!! Can you believe it? To avoid this from happening to you, simply put opaque tape (like a strip of electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN label located on the dash board. You can't remove the VIN number legally under most state laws, so cover it so that it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.”

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2003, 10:20 AM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When you get pulled over have fun explaining that one to a cop. You can get extra keys made with the vin, only on newer cars though. So maybe it is true. Seems like the dealerships would be smart enough to ask for proof of insurance or somthing though, but maybe that is asking too much.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:45 AM
At a loss for words

I've heard of that before also, but I heard that they have to go through the dealer that sold the car. That's why I scrap the stupid dealer sticker off the trunks of my cars! Oh well, I guess if someone really wants my '95 Buick Skylark they are going to get it in the long run. I guess that's part of the reason why I have car insurance.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:47 PM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last journal entry: More
Last photo:

I have taken my car to the same garage faithfully every 6 mths for her oil change. I passed employee called me and said that she was ready for an oil change again so not thinking .. I took it to the garage before it was opened and the employee came out behind the garage .. I thought he was still working there.. gave him the keys with trust and he drove away in my car. Only to find out that he had also taken the paperwork to alot of the vintage cars that frequented the garage. He was finally caught... in the act.but it kinda makes you wonder who dealerships hire ... are they really screened well ? This guy had a rap sheet a mile long !!!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

I worked at a highline/exotic dealership for awhile in the parts/service department...it's not as easy as you think to get a key made from the VIN...especially if it is a newer style laser-cut key(they have to be ordered through the manufacturer)
Typically it requires drivers license, registration and a call to the BMV.
Sounds like a possibly true story for sure, but if you recieved it in an office email it is more than likely a new Urban Legend that is floating around.
Older cars are a little safer because not alot of keys match the VIN anymore due to parts replacement...If they really wanted to steal your car, they are not going to go high profile to do it.And most thieves are not going to spend money and wait for a week...

Later,
WEIMER
Old 05-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

This is what I was saying....Chain Letter
Does the latter page sound identical to what you read at work?
Later,
WEIMER

[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: Weimer ]</p>
Old 05-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanx Weimer, thought it was probably one of those things that get spammed everywhere. Oh well, helps fill the mail box!
Old 05-09-2003, 10:05 PM
banned

[quote] Older cars are a little safer <hr></blockquote>
lol, I read this first part and wondered what you weree on, then I realized you were still talking about the keys being ordered.

Instead they just rip the locks out
Old 05-12-2003, 09:35 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Yes, cops do not like it when you have you VIN# covered up! I got pulled over right after I got my nova. I didn't have a front licence plate holder for it yet, so I had the plate sitting on the dash in front of me. The stupid cop started acting all stuck up and *****y like he caught me red handed at something and demanded that I move the plate so he can see the VIN tag. So I did and he got really pissy after seeing it there intact. I guess he thought he had caught me red-handed with a stolen car?!?! He wasn't too intellegent either, he didn't realize that Pennsylvania cars didn't come with front plate holder.

Speaking of intelligence, anyone know what it qualifications it takes to become a local cop? There's one S.O.B. cop that has been fired from his last 3 jobs Don't they screen anyone??? Our government is so concerned with "Homeland Security" when they should be focusing on how "secure" we are from thier athority.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by 78novaman:
<strong>....Our government is so concerned with "Homeland Security" when they should be focusing on how "secure" we are from thier athority.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only group we should fear as much as the government is the clergy! They both have the power to destroy and use it with troubling regularity.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:00 PM

Amen, Brother!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:25 PM
JDM V7 STi (sorta)

It's very possible, as we've already established, to get a car key cut from the VIN. I've had it done. And it doesn't have to be the dealership that sold the car. My MR2 was originally sold in Florida. I had a dealer in TX cut the key. It only costs like $15.

Also, I didn't have to show ANY proof that I owned the car.

Why? Becaue my girlfriend was working for the owner of the dealership. If you know the right people, you can get your hands on anything you want.

Covering up the VIN with electrical tape is a great idea. I'd rather explain to a cop why it's covered up than explain to a cop what my car looks like so they can try and find it after it's stolen.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:27 PM
banned

lol i'm gunna cover my vin and say that I don't want none of them dealer cut keys made, even though my locks have been changed and my car is too old.

This outta really piss off the cops and I can claim that I'm just ignorent
Old 05-13-2003, 06:31 AM

Several years ago I bought a totaled car that had no keys. I found the name of the original owner and called him about the keys. He said he had put them in the car, but they apparantly had been lost, so I asked him where he had bought the car. He told me and I called the dealer and asked them if they would cut me a new key. They would only if the original owner would stop in at the dealership and show them his drivers license. He said he would but never did. I finally took it to a locksmith and he made up a set for me.

Benji
Old 05-14-2003, 06:01 AM

I will hate to tell you this, but I work at a Chevrolet dealership, and I have had about 7 keys made by using the vin. Only because when I drove it to the back garage to detail it, i shut the doors, and it had auto locks. I just grabbed the VIN, and went up to the 'Parts Department' and they made it less than 5 muinutes.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.