Car Title? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That would be different from a MSO. If you buy a new F150, you just bring in the MSO to the DMV. With the scenario mentioned in post #22, you bring in all your receipts, something Ford doesn't give you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2333
That would be different from a MSO. If you buy a new F150, you just bring in the MSO to the DMV. With the scenario mentioned in post #22, you bring in all your receipts, something Ford doesn't give you.
Maybe I don't understand the question. I think you need to be a registered manufacturer to generate an MSO that's acceptable to the DMV. More importantly, a newly-manufactured vehicle would need to comply with all safety and emissions requirements for the current year, meaning putting the vehicle through crash testing and emissions certification.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Last photo:

[QUOTE=joe_padavano]Maybe I don't understand the question. I think you need to be a registered manufacturer to generate an MSO that's acceptable to the DMV. QUOTE]

That is correct, the MSO that came with my 34 was notarized and had a seal on it from the state of South Carolina.

Vince
Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
At the risk of opening this topic up again, rebodying a car is NOT against federal law IF the rebody is done as part of a repair and there is full documentation. The pertinent federal law is CFR 18USC25. Read it for yourself:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...Cite:+18USC511

Once again, the legal issue is commission of FRAUD. That's the same problem that Boyd had. It wasn't the titling that was the problem, it was the attempt to circumvent the emissions laws. Body shops (around here, anyway) regularly replace the cab from a truck and transfer the VIN tag. It's all done legally with full documentation of ownership of all the parts in question. Keep in mind that these laws are intended to combat auto theft, not legal repair.

Once again, this is FEDERAL law. State laws may (and probably will) vary. You must decide for yourself what to do. And I agree, it is a very slippery slope. Once you replace the roof, quarters, trunklid, doors, and floorpan, what's left? How close can you cut and weld to the VIN tag before you get into that apparently sacred metal?
This sometimes becomes a "tell it to the jury" situation.
I know of one guy that it only cost him $ 49,000 and 2 years of legal baloney to be judged right.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Has anyone ever had to get a title in TX through their process? If so, are you able to get your car registered/inspected once you get the bonded title?

-m
Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Last journal entry: New (used) 350.
Last photo:

Nova title

I bought a 68 nova and reading this stuff makes me nervous because it has no vin tags/ title but I know where I can get clean tags and a build sheet for a 72 and I know the last person who had the title but he lost it and sold the car.
I can get the vin tags and build sheet from the person he sold it to because he parted out the car and kept EVERY savable part then crushed what was left. I don't know what to do. -58lincoln
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 AM

No title.

Go to you local Annex building and ask them they also have all the paper work you need there. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58lincoln
I bought a 68 nova and reading this stuff makes me nervous because it has no vin tags/ title but I know where I can get clean tags and a build sheet for a 72 and I know the last person who had the title but he lost it and sold the car.
I can get the vin tags and build sheet from the person he sold it to because he parted out the car and kept EVERY savable part then crushed what was left. I don't know what to do. -58lincoln
Don't try to put one over on your DMV. You need to call up the DMV in Iowa ask for a supervisor and ask that person what you should do. Remember, they just want to collect the money for the license and registration and make sure the vehicle isn't stolen. Try the easiest solution first. Good Luck.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
I bought a 68 nova and reading this stuff makes me nervous because it has no vin tags/ title ...

That SHOULD make you nervous. If the car has no VIN tags, that's a problem. There is no reason to remove them and not replace them unless you're trying to do something illegal. I'm also always skeptical of people who are selling cars because they claim to have "lost the title". If you had legal title to the car, you can get a duplicate printed out at the DMV. Here in Virginia a duplicate title costs about $5.

If, on the other hand, you can prove ownership and prove that the car isn't stolen, most states have a process for issuing a new VIN. If you plan to go this route, the paperwork and story on the car had better be bulletproof.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

There are other place the vin is stamped on the body and sub frame on that nova...if you do a number swap beside being illegal, if you get caught you will be in a heap o trouble. look for the other number locations....if they are like camaros they have one under the heater box on the fire wall but they definitely have one on the sub frame somewhere. That will give you the vin and you can find out if it was stolen or what ever and go from there.JMO Tim
Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Tim's right. Check out this thread on the Chevelle web site: CLICK HERE

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Find the hidden VIN on the 68 and have the sheriff run a check to see if it is stolen. If it is ok, he can sign a paper that says it is ok which you then take to the DMV and have them run the name of the last owner of record using that VIN. You might get the 68 title this way.

If you cannot find the VIN on the car, MAYBE an amiable sheriff deputy will help you get an abandoned title.

Some states have a provision for getting an abandoned car title if the VIN checks out ok and the last owner is not locateable, or you have a bill of sale from a salvage yard.

If you know someone at a tow yard or salvage yard, they can help you, since they often title cars that get towed in and then abandoned because someone cannot pay the tow bill.

It is no big deal, but it does involve footwork.

Don't get caught putting a 72 title on a 68.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:32 PM

Last journal entry: New (used) 350.
Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks alot guys. I appreciate the helpful input. I am not even 19 yet and I really don't want to get in trouble. and I am not a troublemaker (I have never even gotten a speeding ticket) So I have decided to do it the legal and moral way.

Thanks, Alex

Last edited by 58lincoln; 07-13-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: it was too long
Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Guess not, you'd be a victim, but you might lose your car and all the $$ you put in it.

I'd make sure that thing is free and clear and really yours..... if not, move on and don't look back.

Let me over emphasize.
I wouldn't put 10 cents work building a car that does not have my name on the title.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoTFrenzel
Let me over emphasize.
I wouldn't put 10 cents work building a car that does not have my name on the title.
Amen to that

Vince

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.