Car Title? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
mrdreex's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 316
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car Title?

Hello all. I have read the wiki on how to get a title from your state (TX), and am hoping someone may know this. I have a 79 Nova that I bought with no title, but was given a bill of sale. I don't know how long the 'regular' process is to getting a car title, but was curious on the other method mentioned in the article. It mentioned that some rodding magazines offer titles for sale? I was curious if anyone knew which magazine(s) it is referring to, if magazines at all. I have googled, but with no luck. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,811
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 82 Times in 69 Posts
Most titles offered for sale are from the New York state, and are for vehicles older than 1972. New York state does not title vehicles older than 1972. Most if not all states consider this practice illegal. Your only option is to go through your local Texas DMV office.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,267
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
..............Most if not all states consider this practice illegal. .............
That's an understatement. It's a FELONY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
mrdreex's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 316
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Most titles offered for sale are from the New York state, and are for vehicles older than 1972. New York state does not title vehicles older than 1972. Most if not all states consider this practice illegal. Your only option is to go through your local Texas DMV office.

Vince
I figured that this was considered somewhat illicit, but thought it was worth asking. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
mrdreex's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 316
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
That's an understatement. It's a FELONY!!!
I don't intend on doing anything illegal. The article didn't know either, so I figured it was worth asking. Do you know how long the process usually takes to get a title through the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,413
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 5
Thanked 122 Times in 110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
That's an understatement. It's a FELONY!!!
That's not an understatement, it's an INCORRECT statement. Several states do not issue titles to older cars. This is COMPLETELY legal. When I was growing up in Massachusetts, that state did not issue titles for cars more than 10 years old. There are a number of completely legal title service companies that will do this for you. Most other states are aware of this and will honor the paperwork. If a few states choose not to recognize this, that's a state problem and not a felony. Attempting to secure a title using this method to commit fraud (such as using it to title a stolen car) is ABSOLUTELY a crime, but the infraction is not the act of getting a title, it's the act of fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I moved from New York to Alabama in 1984, the DMV there took away the title for my 1965 Corvair and just issued me a registration card, the stub of which served as the proof of ownership. I think Alabama had done away with titles for vehicles built prior to 1973.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mass
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re

I am willing to bet the regular process is not that bad. In Mass I needed to go to the town hall to get a copy of the computer record for the excise tax. All they were doing was chasing possible sales tax revenue and late fees.

The other option was take it to a cop an have him fill out a form that it was what I said it was, not really that bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,267
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That's not an understatement, it's an INCORRECT statement. Several states do not issue titles to older cars. This is COMPLETELY legal. When I was growing up in Massachusetts, that state did not issue titles for cars more than 10 years old. There are a number of completely legal title service companies that will do this for you. Most other states are aware of this and will honor the paperwork. If a few states choose not to recognize this, that's a state problem and not a felony. Attempting to secure a title using this method to commit fraud (such as using it to title a stolen car) is ABSOLUTELY a crime, but the infraction is not the act of getting a title, it's the act of fraud.
I don't know where you studied law but feel free to represent a fraudulent title to your state's DMV and see how quick you wind up behind bars. Purchasing a title that belongs to another vehicle and then trying to register your car FRAUD, period end of story. That's what he asked about, not going through one of those shyster title companies. AND, most states won't allow titles obtained through them anymore because they consider it skirting the law. You pay your money and take your chances with one of those companies.

Bottom line is that EVERY STATE has procedures to title cars where the title has been lost or never existed. Following those procedures is the only foolproof way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,268
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
In Ny registrations pre '72 come very easy ( titles '73 and up ).. few papers to sign and fill out by both original owner and buyer... newer than '72, getting a title is a hassle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 208
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Arizona and Nevada is is pretty easy to get a title to a car you currently do not have a title to.

You file an application with the DMV or MVD telling them that you are liening the vehicle for storage fees. You state you do not know who the previous owner is and it has been on your property for more that 60 days. The department will send a registered letter to the previous registered owner stating that the car is going up for lien sale. You then get the brandy new title in about a month.

I might have some of the facts slightly wrong, but this is the gist of the steps to get the title. In other states, YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
mrdreex's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 316
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I don't know where you studied law but feel free to represent a fraudulent title to your state's DMV and see how quick you wind up behind bars. Purchasing a title that belongs to another vehicle and then trying to register your car FRAUD, period end of story. That's what he asked about, not going through one of those shyster title companies. AND, most states won't allow titles obtained through them anymore because they consider it skirting the law. You pay your money and take your chances with one of those companies.

Bottom line is that EVERY STATE has procedures to title cars where the title has been lost or never existed. Following those procedures is the only foolproof way to do it.
I absolutely don't mind doing it the legal way either, but I was curious as to why whoever mentioned that 'buying' a title in the wiki would mention that as an option, and obviously since it's the 'easy way out', it led me to believe that obtaining a title for an otherwise untitled vehicle could be a lengthy process. Thanks for all the info though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
lets cut it up's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,467
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just finished getting a the title to a 55 chevy truck..IT TOOK TWO YEARS the states way. I did a 57 chevy using the titling company way and it was all done in less than two weeks. Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,267
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lets cut it up
I just finished getting a the title to a 55 chevy truck..IT TOOK TWO YEARS the states way. I did a 57 chevy using the titling company way and it was all done in less than two weeks. Tim
There's nothing wrong with doing it that way, as long as your state acepts them. Some, like Ohio for instance, don't. Sometimes its just a crap shoot.

I'm interested in why it took two years to get a title for your truck though. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 PM
mrdreex's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 316
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
There's nothing wrong with doing it that way, as long as your state acepts them. Some, like Ohio for instance, don't. Sometimes its just a crap shoot.

I'm interested in why it took two years to get a title for your truck though. .
I believe they may have something like TX does, where they issue you a Bonded Title, and after the 'waiting time', they will issue you a real title. Reason being a waiting time would be incase someone else claimed that title during the 'waiting' time would indicate going to court to settle the title dispute. I just don't know if you're able to get Inspected/Registered with a bonded title, and how long it takes to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today for the first time I judged a car show. MARTINSR Hotrodders' Lounge 7 06-07-2008 05:45 AM
donk or lambo's got nothing on this 406chevycaprice Hotrodders' Lounge 28 01-28-2008 08:09 AM
a true story abount my first car chopperdave70 Hotrodders' Lounge 7 01-26-2008 06:13 PM
Car Title Billypurdy Hotrodders' Lounge 4 12-29-2005 06:45 PM
What Kind Of Reliable Car Andrew7dg Hotrodders' Lounge 5 12-14-2004 04:47 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.