Hot Rod Forum banner

Car Turns Over But Wont Start

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  T-bucket23 
#1 ·
Car was running fine a few weeks ago now she turn over but will not start. Its not backfiring or flooding the plugs.

Few things I have check:
1. Engine have fire at plugs
2. Fuel getting into carb
3. Valves have been check over and over again
4. Timing is dead-on
5. Engine has compression
6. fuel pressure 5.5

She just turn over the starter but will not fire. I am confused!

Please help!

#3 ·
001mustang said:
Did you pull plugs to make sure they are not fouled?
Did you try to start with starting fluid?
The plugs are clean with no fuel on them. I have not tried starting fluid.

#7 · (Edited)
eloc431962 said:
What exactly are you working on?

Cole
84 Camaro, Dart SBC 400, Scat 4340 Crank, Wiseco Piston, Eagle 6"H-Beam Rod, Bullet Solid Cam 275/279,247/251@.050, 565/577-108, AFR-195 Comp, Hooker Super Comp 1-3/4 Headers, Pro-Built 700R4, P.T.C. 3000SS, Strange ENG.12 Bolt 3:73, Holley 750, Edelbrock Air Gap Intake, AFR 195 Heads, MSD Pro Billet distributor w/6AL Box & Balster 2 Coil.

#8 ·
406 bug said:
Between the time ir was running fine and the first time it would not start did you do any thing to the vehicle?? if so give details.
I took off the 1" carb spacer and verified the valves setting using EO/IC method.

#10 ·
The butterfly is moving freely and fuel is squitring out into the carb, rotor is fine, I have taken that cap off to reseat it several times. I have spark at the spark plugs. I also double check to make sure it was not 180* out or off a tooth. I moved the plugs on the distributor counter-clockwise one and clockwise one, still nothing. I have watch the spark plug #1 fire while looking at the balancer which came on at about 18*. I am just lost to see why this car will not start.

#12 ·
So since it was running and you have not moved the distributor, the timing should be close enough to run, it ran there before.
The spark at the plugs, is it a nice bright blue or is it yellow.
It may help to try a little fuel in the carb to see if it fires. Maybe something is wrong with the gas you have or maybe someone watered your tank.
I would stay away from ether based starting fluid as it can sometimes fire without spark and can hinder the troubleshooting.

I have also seen bad msd boxes that will give a nice spark but at the wrong time. You may want to see if you can validate the timing with a timing light while cranking.

#13 ·
I may have found the problem. I took of my distributor cap to check my pickup OHMs rating which was 559 and look for any cracks. Everything look good with the naked eye but I can shake the cap while holding the 2 cap screws and something is rattling inside, so I call MSD tech line and they guy said It may be firing at the plugs but not a strong spark to start the engine. I just ordered a cap, rotor, pickup from Summit Racing. Stay Tune...

#14 ·
Update:

The distributor cap is not the problem; with the timing light hooked to the number one plug its firing at 21*. I am totally baffled on where the problem lies. Maybe I need to drain the fuel tank to make sure I did not get any bad gas. Everything else seem to be dead on with fuel pressure, compression, and spark.

#15 ·
no start

I agree with t bucket, a little fuel down the carb.
If your running a HEI distributor check for a pin hole burnt through the rotor. It will cause an eractic spark and over looked by many people.
(note) have to remove the rotor to check it. look for a small burnt spot on the under side of the rotor.

#16 ·
I bought a can of Starting Fluid from Advance Auto came home sprayed it in the carb for 3 seconds then hit the ignition switch she fire right up.

I guess the gas I bought from Shell was bad or maybe condensation from sitting in the garage. We have been getting plenty of rain down south but my car never left the garage.

I guess now I have to remove 15 gal of gas.....

#20 ·
Pump some gas into a glass bottle. If there is water in it it will be obvious. Starting fluid is not a good test, I have seen cars with no spark fire on starting fluid. Try a putting a little know good gasoline in the carb to see if it fires. You dont want to drin the tank for nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.