Car won't start, need help!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 01:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Car won't start, need help!!!

I have an hei chevy non-ecm 350 and it will not start. I put a new tinming chain on it a couple of months ago so I doubt thats it, I've set the distributor time asnd time again on the 1 and it sounds like it's about to start but goes back to turning over again. I replaced the starter and that didnt work either, the battery is charged as well. I poured gas in the top of the carb to see if it was a carb probelem to see if it would run for just a couple of seconds and that didnt work. As dangerous as this is, I even took the carb off and poured gas directly in the intake (fire extiguisher on hand just in case) and still nothing, i know it shouldve ran for a couple of seconds if it was a carb/fuel problem. It's getting fire, the compression should be fine because it was running just fine up until a few weeks ago. I'm just stumped. Oh yeah important info, it really hasnt worked since I put new exhaust manifold gaskets on it, I dont know if there's a connection, I can't think of one but thats when it stopped working. Also what maybe imprtant info is that like the car almost starts usually but one time it actually did fully start, I let it run for a lil while and then it died out cause it ran out of gas. I put about 4 gallons worth of gas in it and it hasnt fully started since. The time it did start I didnt do anything special, just the same turning the key over and frantically tapping the gas.

I'm sorry guys I know its a long,s omewhat rambling post but I just wanted to give as much info as possible in hopes that someone could diagnose my problem, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Verify you are getting spark at the plugs.

It ran after you replaced the timing chain? Your SURE that the distributor is in right?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_Freud
Verify you are getting spark at the plugs.

It ran after you replaced the timing chain? Your SURE that the distributor is in right?
Thanks for the reply. Yes it did run after the I replaced the timing chain, it started right up everytime. I'm getting a high spark from the wires, I also checked the plugs and they were fine.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:13 PM

I would connect a test light or multimeter to the positive wire of the distributor and watch it while someone tries to fire up the car. also, you can try using a syringe or tiny funnel to pour gas into the overflow tube of the carb.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

You say that as it cranks over it tries to start but just not enough to take off? If you look down the carb, holding open the throttle plates and pump the gas do you get a fuel spray? You say you have spark. It sounds like the engine is flooded with fuel. Remove and replace or remove all spark plugs and clean and dry. Then retry.

Steve
Old 05-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Spark

Doc here,

How did you test spark? Static (opening and closing points with an insulated screwdriver) or while Cranking?

If you did a static test, you might be losing spark on cranking..or the secondary Ignition is faulty.

A Good Clue is you were last working on the headers, and the secondary Ignition wire comes from the Starter solenoid "I" terminal, you may have accidentaly knocked it off, or cut the wire..Check to see if you actually get spark while cranking.

If you lose it on crank, check the solenoid "I" terminal.

Other than that was the spark a good "BLUE" fire or an anemic "ORANGE" fire?

Check the points, gap for about 17 thousands, make sure they are tight, (and not slipping or twisting the arm on crank) Not pitted..

Remove the capacitor, and try and fire it, If it runs, replace it, it is leaky.

Check the coil...you should have 6 to 9 volts on the battery side with the points CLOSED...If not, (higher) The resistor is bypassed and may have damaged your coil and / or points. Get a Coil, and Resistor.

Change or measure your plug wires. They could be deteriorated past the point of producing a good spark.

Check the rotor and cap for carbon trails or damage...carbon trails can be cleaned with brakecleen or carb cleaner...scoring , pitting or other damage must be replaced.

I ask this on every post like this...so don't take it wrong...You Did remember to actually put the rotor back in right?(I've done it myself )

Are the Plugs "WET" when you pull them or Dry?

If they are Dry, you have an induction / Valve train system problem.

I Bypass that because it won't run "Bottle Fed" So I'm assuming it's an electrical problem.

Try / Check those...If It's electrical, It should get you running.

If NOT...Do a Compression test...If lower than 100 psi...you got valve train / Cam timing problems...

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 05-27-2005 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Bumbling Bigthumbitis
Old 05-28-2005, 01:51 PM

I checked the spark pugs and they were all grimy and some were wet. I cleaned them off and lile clockwork it easily started. The grime is bothering me though.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.