Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   Car wont turn off with ignition (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/car-wont-turn-off-ignition-220588.html)

dub 06-15-2012 11:43 PM

Car wont turn off with ignition

Ok......And yet again, I am on this great site asking for more help.
The car will start with the ignition as normal, but when I go to turn it off, the engine remains running. I have a HEI ignition, and I assume that the once power is killed to the cap/coil, the engine should turn off. Well, I have a wire going directly to the fuse panel under the dash, I tested the terminal that I plugged it into, it has switch power. But the engine doesnt turn of when I turn the ignition off. Which tells me that I have constant power at all times. Did I wire the engine bay wrong? I also tested the wire that goes to the alternator, and it has 12V at all times. Is that right? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again,
Mike

ronbuhg 06-16-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub
Ok......And yet again, I am on this great site asking for more help.
The car will start with the ignition as normal, but when I go to turn it off, the engine remains running. I have a HEI ignition, and I assume that the once power is killed to the cap/coil, the engine should turn off. Well, I have a wire going directly to the fuse panel under the dash, I tested the terminal that I plugged it into, it has switch power. But the engine doesnt turn of when I turn the ignition off. Which tells me that I have constant power at all times. Did I wire the engine bay wrong? I also tested the wire that goes to the alternator, and it has 12V at all times. Is that right? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again,
Mike

When you turn it off , does the engine run on for a short time or stays running for awhile till you kill it ,however your doing that ?? If the electrical power is OFF when key is turned off, then I suggest you look at your idle speed. If its too high it will continue to run due to compression & fuel ,even with no electrics to spark it.. basically like the big tractor~trailers..hope thats it, but you need to fix it asap, because desiel run~on isnt good for the motor..let us know,,hey guys am I right or wrong here ??

bracketeer 06-16-2012 12:35 AM

run on

msd has an issue with that. the alternator will continue to power the switched side of the wiring. install a diode on the field wire. this article discusses older versions but i've had problems with hei doing the same thing.
http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3296

dub 06-16-2012 12:37 AM

Its definatley not deisiling. I have to physically pull of the bat cable to kill the engine. Its for sure an electrical problem.

dub 06-16-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

msd has an issue with that. the alternator will continue to power the switched side of the wiring. install a diode on the field wire. this article discusses older versions but i've had problems with hei doing the same thing. http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3296
Then it makes me think what the previous owner did before....How did he turn the car off? Is this a type of problem that just starts to happen overtime? Ill get a diode tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks,
Mike

bracketeer 06-16-2012 12:53 AM

more info

GM: Delcotron Alternators use an internal voltage regulator. Install
the Diode in-line on the smallest wire exiting the alternator (Figure
7). It is usually a Brown wire.

stripe on diode towards alternator.

ronbuhg 06-16-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub
Its definatley not deisiling. I have to physically pull of the bat cable to kill the engine. Its for sure an electrical problem.

sorry I was wrong, I misread the question,maybe I better not give out anymore 'advice'

EOD Guy 06-16-2012 04:34 AM

Place the diode on the #1 terminal....... I suggest removing the #1 wire from the connector, go to NAPA and buy a female and male type 56 terminal (OEM type) crimp the diode to the new terminals, insert it into the alt connector, place the old wire onto the new diode, cover the whole thing in shrink wrap. That way if it ever goes south and needs replacing..... it's a simple
Plug-N-Play deal

elkay65 07-02-2012 07:30 PM

Hi All,I have a 1965 chevelle with hei and one wire alt that also wont shut off with the key.I have to pull the battery cable off to stop it.I plugged my HEI power wire into the fuse panel after i removed the old wire for the points system
HELP,lumpy65

vicrod 07-02-2012 07:51 PM

You need to make sure you have 1 wire feeding the HEI from the ignition switch or switched circuit. No resistor wire or wire from the starter.
I am assuming this problem started when you changed from points to HEI.
Check it with test light.

vicrod

elkay65 07-02-2012 08:54 PM

elkay65

Vicrod
I DONT HAVE ANY RESISTOR WIRE ANYMORE.i PICKED UP POWER AT THE FUSE PANEL AT ''FUSED IGNITION'' AND RAN THE WIRE RIGHT TO THE hEI.
I CHANGED THE ALTERNATOR AT THE SAME TIME.COULD THE ALT BE BACK FEEDING?

ELKAY65

dub 07-02-2012 11:05 PM

I had the same issue obviously. The power to the HEI was in the wrong fuse terminal the entire time. In the center of the fuse block, there are a row of terminals that you can use. I used the one all the way at the bottom, its marked "IGN" That's one of the few terminals that kills power when the ignition is in the "off" position. Run that wire directly to the HEI power terminal.
Hope this helps.

Mike

vicrod 07-03-2012 01:51 PM

Elkay65
When you turn off the ignition does the wire to the HEI go to 0 volts?
If not something is wrong with the wiring to the fuse block or the ignition switch is bad.
The one wire alternator should be connected the battery side (hot at all times) of the fuse block. If connected correctly a one wire alternator cannot feedback to the ignition. Double check the alternator connection. As a test disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

vicrod

elkay65 07-03-2012 05:02 PM

thanks Vicrod and Dub , i check out your ideas and get back to you

Elkay65

ronbuhg 07-03-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicrod (Post 1570609)
Elkay65
When you turn off the ignition does the wire to the HEI go to 0 volts?
If not something is wrong with the wiring to the fuse block or the ignition switch is bad.
The one wire alternator should be connected the battery side (hot at all times) of the fuse block. If connected correctly a one wire alternator cannot feedback to the ignition. Double check the alternator connection. As a test disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

vicrod

just for my understanding, should the battery feed at the fuse block be fused ?? Im thinking no, but Im not that smart on electronics I admit....