car wont turn off by the ignition lock switch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

car wont turn off by the ignition lock switch

I have a 84 buick lesabre. The problem is the car will crank just fine, but when i try to turn it off it continues to run. I can even remove the key from the ignition and it still runs. Someone please help....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

sounds like some one has been doing some wiring/jerry rigging.
If the cooling fan is wired to an ignition circuit directly rather than by the relay, it will keep the engine running for about 4-5 seconds after the key is shut off as the flywheel effect of the fanblades turn the motor into a generator as the motor is a permanent magnet motor.
How does it act when you shut off the key, does it stay running continuosly or does it stall after a few seconds?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84buick
I have a 84 buick lesabre. The problem is the car will crank just fine, but when i try to turn it off it continues to run. I can even remove the key from the ignition and it still runs. Someone please help....
Do all the accessories still work as well like the lights and the radio. You can try unplugging the alternator to see if the issue goes away or as LA mentioned the fans could be back feeding.
How do you currently get it to shut off.

Chet
Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84buick
Has it just had a MSD ignition box added? If so, a diode is needed to be added in line to the #2 terminal of the voltage regulator in the alternator. This is the key on power wire, and will keep the alternator energized.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

You might have a bad ign. swich. Not the lock cyl but the switch located on top of the steering column. Is it hard to turn the key to the start position?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Everything works fine radio,lights etc. When attempting to turn the car off by the switch it continues to run the same no delays or nothing. The fan is wired correctly. I replaced the lock cylinder. No change. Maybe the box on the steering column is the problem. Idk what that box controls. The car cranks easy it just wont shut off by the switch, im choking the carb to turn off for now. Help!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Has the ignition system been upgraded or modified. Has any rewiring been done. Did you try unplugging the alternator as I suggested. You can also try unplugging the ignition switch.
After you choke it out do all the accessories turn off. If so it sounds like your alternator is getting back fed. If this is the case you can search for alternator diode and you will find a solution to your problem.

Chet
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

That box on top of the column is the ign. switch. All the electricity to power accessories, run, start and off goes through that switch. You might want to drop it out and inspect the connections. Look for signs of things getting hot.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM

The ignition switch connects to a "rack" on the end of the lock mechanism, which moves a rod that runs down the column. This rod is what actuates the electrical box mounted on the lower column. If the rack breaks or gets out of place it will not connect the lock cylinder mechanism correctly to the rod, and the car won't turn on and off when you move the key.

The rack and rod are very cheap, but buried behind the horn and turn signal mechanism. You have to first remove the steering wheel, horn lock plate, and turn signal cam. Then remove the assembly under the turn signal cam, and the ignition switch, and you can get to the rack. There are a lot of parts to take off just to get to a $12 pot metal part.

Bruce
Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Actually Bruce brings up a good point. He is absolutely right about the rack and rod moving the ign.switch. I can remember repairing a vehicle with a broken rack assembly that would let you start the vehicle . Upon releasing the key the internal spring in the ign. switch would push the switch from the start position to the run position. when you went to turn the ign.. off the broken rack would not drag the rod back and slide the ign. switch to the off position. Pull your ign. sw. off the top of the column ( two screws) and operate the key up and down. the rod should travel both directions.Inspect your switch at the same time for signs of excessive heating.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.