is this car worth it? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

is this car worth it?

I found a 1973 Olds Cutlass 2dr coupe on Ebay, $900 starting bid, no reserve and nobody had bid on it.. I live out in the country, and supprisingly the car was only a short distance from me, so I went and looked at it... it is a 30 footer, looks decent even up close, but you can tell the flaws up close.. It has a 350 Rocket V8, and automatic trans, rolled over odometer so probably 117,000 as it reads 17,141.. it has been painted amaturly ( paint might be inferior, does not shine well, but there is no overspray or anything, but deffinatly not brushed or rolled ) and I can tell there is a lot of bondo on the passanger side by knocking on the 1/4's and rockers, but it does look like it was done good at least.. but the driver side is solid... it runs good, has new tires, new brakes, new dual exhaust, dash is good, gauges look good and work, trans shifts and it could pass NY inspection as is, but it does need work.. driver side floor is soft, and I could patch it, but all others are good.. rear window has had trim and gasket removed so it has leaked over the winter.. seats are good, and it does not show too much water damage ( the vinyl by the 1/4 windows is coming apart from the foam )... The sketchy part is, right after I got home ( 20 min drive ) the listing was removed.. the guy was talking about taking the tires and putting them on his car.. my thinking is he thinks I'm the only 1 interested, so he can sell it locally at his price w/o the $125 hit from Ebay and Paypal fees.. he told me in a couple days he could show it to me on his lift, after he gets his truck off it..... I really don't want a project, but a simple older car that will get attention and I can drive daily for the spring and sell it b4 summer is over.. concerns with Gas mialage is I don't have a clue what to expect from it, as it has an older aftermarket intake ( brand unknown, but it's aluminum and has no GM casting number or firing order ) with a 4150 Holley 4bbl, and my budgeting allows for 18 MPG minimum, but I really don't need anything more than 22-23 or so... I'm done with the matchbox econobox cars, and until I absolutly need above 30 MPG, I doubt I'll own 1.. If I can't find a decent older car to drive, then I'll fix my Ranger or get another 1.... is the '73 Cutlass worth getting?

I could probably offer $1,200 and drive it home.. I think the reason he got no bids is due to the economy and the fact the town it is in.. a lot of people do not know exist's, and he lives wayy out beyond where I'v ever gone, and yes, I did get lost and have a hard time finding his place.

Advertisement

Last edited by matt167; 03-17-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Did you get any pics of it Matt?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM

you get what you pay for. sounds like you have the right ideas as to how to determine the weak points. It is definately going to be a project. I dought you will see a return on your investment? Good Luck
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
Did you get any pics of it Matt?
I didn't, just have a laser printout of the ad that I could scan a couple of the pics off of, but because it's laser and B&W, there not good
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

the original Olds Ralley rims with the fake spokes and trim rings, have been blasted and painted glossy black, and look very nice, and the trim rings are nice- may be the nicest parts on the car

if I do some rough guessing on cost to fix stuff

$200 to fix the rear window
$10 for some headliner adhesive and patcience to fix the separated vinyl
$100 for a driver side floorboard ( I assume a reproduction Malibu peice will work? )
$100 for missing valance panals above rear 1/4 windows ( assume maby dome lights go there, but I see no wiring )...

so if I got it for $1,200, and put$410 into it, I'd have $1,610 in a 30 footer.. but then the question would be, would there be a return investment? I don't know the going price on mid 70's GM midsize, other than they are getting more popular.

NADA says $3,420 low retail, or $7,710 average, but is that what they really go for?? if this is the case, I could put a $2,500 price tag on it and most likely sell it quick
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Matt - if you are looking for an 18 mpg car, this isn't what you need. Oldsmobiles were OK for their time frame, 13-15 in good tune, but a '73 was right at the first gas crunch time - and had rudimentary emissions controls that for sure didn't give you gas mileage. Then a Holley 4150 or even a 4160 is not an economy carb. Then add in a points ignition, a 4000+/- pound car, a TH350 tranny (maybe) then a 2.7 rear gear and you have a hog for general driving on the hilly roads of the Catskills.

And do you want it as a beater or a resto project - either of which puts it in different categories

Dave W
Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Matt i dont know what they would go for where you are at.but i do know one sold here just the othe day for $4000 orange and black 455 engine.rough but very restorable.just trying to help.but as far as a good return thats just hard to say. cole
Old 03-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Matt - if you are looking for an 18 mpg car, this isn't what you need. Oldsmobiles were OK for their time frame, 13-15 in good tune, but a '73 was right at the first gas crunch time - and had rudimentary emissions controls that for sure didn't give you gas mileage. Then a Holley 4150 or even a 4160 is not an economy carb. Then add in a points ignition, a 4000+/- pound car, a TH350 tranny (maybe) then a 2.7 rear gear and you have a hog for general driving on the hilly roads of the Catskills.

And do you want it as a beater or a resto project - either of which puts it in different categories

Dave W
That and the fact, it sounds so cool when the back 2 barrels of a 4bbl open up at WOT probably couldn't keep my foot out of it ... I don't need another project, The Falcon's arleady on Ebay due to having 1 project too many... I didn't look to see what all emissions stuff was still there, but I do know the smog pump was.. don't think it had an EGR, but I really didn't look.. there's a kid I know, looking for a cool old car to fix up with his dad.. I'll probably tell him about it, because it is a good deal.. just not practical for me right now
Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

I think I found what I want, just don't know how to calculate the fuel for diesel being the prices fluctuate so much... I found this truck, a 1986 Ford F-250 with the old 6.9L non turbo Diesel and 86,000 miles.. haven't looked at it yet, but I intend to, and it looks good in the pics.. comes with a truck camper, but there is little in the description.. what kind of fuel economy would the 6.9L bring? would it start without a block heater in the winter, with just good glow plugs?...
Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0380&viewitem=
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
I think I found what I want, just don't know how to calculate the fuel for diesel being the prices fluctuate so much... I found this truck, a 1986 Ford F-250 with the old 6.9L non turbo Diesel and 86,000 miles.. haven't looked at it yet, but I intend to, and it looks good in the pics.. comes with a truck camper, but there is little in the description.. what kind of fuel economy would the 6.9L bring? would it start without a block heater in the winter, with just good glow plugs?...
Matt - in your part of the world - at least a dipstick heater would be necessary. The 6.9 and 7.3 Ford/Navistar diesels are good for 300,000 miles tho that '86 body wont last here in the rust belt. Fuel economy - 18 to 22 isn't unheard of with those beasts.

Dave W
Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Olds

BUY IT! They ain't making anymore. Folks pay that much for a soilid donor car these days.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Matt - in your part of the world - at least a dipstick heater would be necessary. The 6.9 and 7.3 Ford/Navistar diesels are good for 300,000 miles tho that '86 body wont last here in the rust belt. Fuel economy - 18 to 22 isn't unheard of with those beasts.

Dave W
with the rust starting to show in the bottom of the wheel wells, what could be done to prevent it from getting worse? If I got it, I would address the rust immediatly, and get a new 2 tone paint job, Red and black when I sell the Falcon or Ranger... it seems pretty solid from the pics, but can't tell for sure till I see it up close... I would get rid of the old red bug deflector too..
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Rust!!!!

Quote:
with the rust starting to show in the bottom of the wheel wells, what could be done to prevent it from getting worse? If I got it, I would address the rust immediatly, and get a new 2 tone paint job, Red and black when I sell the Falcon or Ranger... it seems pretty solid from the pics, but can't tell for sure till I see it up close... I would get rid of the old red bug deflector too..
Rust isn't always abad thing. Usually means that it is metal:-) Depends on how badly it is rusted... In the old days we used to qualify the rust as surface, pitting, or just plain old cancer. Cancer or metal rot is the one thing to avoid. Anything else can be dealt with.

Rot or cancer means major cutting and replacing of sections. Media blasting at low pressure can usually solve most problems. Simply clean it up, treat the areas and then paint the puppy. No sweat!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:47 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
NADA says $3,420 low retail, or $7,710 average, but is that what they really go for?? if this is the case, I could put a $2,500 price tag on it and most likely sell it quick
I once had a '76 Olds Cutlass, buckets and console. Blew up the Buick V6 that it came with (was gonna swap it anyway) and put a 455 out of a Vista Cruiser in it.

That was a FUN car!!! Room enough for 5 (6 if half were female ) but naturally, mileage was terrible. Sold it for $3K, and it had zero rust or dents, but the original paint was tired. It took a while to sell it, this was in FL.

Here in GA you'd be hard pressed to get that much for the car, but it's worth "what it's worth" to the right person. A motivated buyer is all you would need.

But w/the economy the way it is, plus an uncertain energy supply, a 14 mpg car might be a hard sell in the months/years to come.

I wouldn't buy the car expecting anything except maybe breaking even.

Good luck!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.