is the car worth it? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 07:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

is the car worth it?

OK, my question is this. I have been searching for a 66 mustang fastback in my price range for some time now. I came across one for 3500, he says everything on the car is great except that it has almost no metal on it. it would need almost everything its just basically a rolling chassi. I was wondering how much actuall work would i be getting myself into, i would attempt most of the metal myself (am a novice welder, just started). And the car has very little surface rust, comming from Cali. What should i do, does anyone think it would be worth it for me to attempt to tackle this or should i wait for a complete car that needs less work? (Budget is as big of a factor as my inexperience with welding)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

i think i would pass on this one. that car sounds like it needs a lot of work. for $3500 you should get a complete car.

take your time and look around for awhile. there is a LOT of mustangs out there so don't buy the first one you see.

you'll know when it's the right time.

JB
Old 09-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Most deffinatly tell him to keep it! You can find '65, '66, '67 notcchbacks all day long for cheaper than that in much better condition. Hell right now there are three for sale under $3500 here. Look on www.traderonline.com in the classics section, you'll find 10-20 in your price range within 150 miles. Theres a whole boatload of them out there. Around here I can't throw a rock without hitting one or hitting someone who knows where one is. They are like a bad habbit, they're everwhere!

HK
Old 09-03-2003, 10:23 PM

Thats the problem, its not a notchback, its a fastback which is what i have been looking for. And so far i havent been able to find any of those in my price range.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:43 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

if you really want to test your welding skill

or really enhance your welding ability, find a notch back in good shape, and weld in the fastback rear...... course, it wont be a #'s car. Dr. Chop or Halloweenking oughtta do that...... for a web cam.... man, i bet theres money to be made there.......
Old 09-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

What, you want a step-by-step?

Whoever would care to bring their car to Valpo, IN on a weekend could easily have me do it.

I like new challenges, and this one could be put up on a website quick enough with my digicam.

All I ask is that whoever brings the car and donor sheetmetal by should expect me NOT to do all the final filler work, just the steel. Our lucky participant should also bring materials like grinding discs, welding gas/wire, etc. or compensate me just materials cost for using mine. Hell I'm digging up spare change for most of this stuff I'm doing on my own toys. Also expect this to be done and out of here inside of 2 days, I cannot provide storage for other's projects, I already have too much in the driveway now.

Actually, that's not a bad idea to help spread the fun of rodding around. Not a new one either, the guys on the HAMB have been doing "HAMB-Chops" for the past couple of years, helping someone with big dreams and limited finances build a cool car by providing the labor.

If it's something that would just take a couple days to get done in the metal, I'm game. Bring it on...

Doc
Old 09-04-2003, 12:24 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

lmao

Doc, my bro in law just bought a 75 ford pickup.... he wants to chop it so bad, he's been drooling on it..... i'll send him your way....
Old 09-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Cool by me...

I have'nt done a '75 Ford pickup yet. No reason not to give it a shot tho. My local library has the Chopping Tops book and I think I remember seeing a Seventies Ford pickup in it. Let him know I can't do anything with the front glass if it involves cutting it. Laying it back or dropping it into the cowl may be an option. Back window opening can remain stock height or sectioned with the chop, whichever he prefers/looks better. Of course the door and back glass will need to be custom made to fit, I do have some 1/4" smoked plexi for making glass patterns/temporary windows...

Pickup cab and 2 doortops in a weekend, sounds do-able. I'd have to make sure I have a full Argon/CO2 bottle for the MIG, and a couple spools of .023 as the welding supply closes for the weekend at Noon Sat...

Doc

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.