Carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carb

ok well im thinking of getting a new carb for my 75 vette. Right now i have a Holley 750 Vac Seconday dual feed 4160. My specs for the vette are th400 tranny, 355 sbc with vortec heads, 218/228 @.050 .520 lift cam, Preformance Products RPM Airgap Inake, Accel HEI Super Coil. 3.08 rear. Im getting tired of having to mess with the holley all of the time. Seems about every other month I have to mess with it to get it to run right or try not to run rich. Im thinking of ditching the holley and getting a q-jet. So whats the best carb for street use. Any advice is appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Unless the intake your using has a speadbore pattern for a Q-jet as most of them don`t then you`d have to use a adapter which will make problems worse. What kind of issues is your holley giving you? if it keeps doing the same thing there has to be a reason why.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

It will not keep tune. like i stated at least once a month i have tune the stupid thing. Also it has a little hesitation and runs rich. I have been messing with this thing since it was bolted on the car over 2 years ago. My buddy who is a boat mechanic help with it and thought we had it until last weekend when i drove the car and it was running rich again and the hesitation was getting worse. Im just tired of dealing with this stupid holley. Maybe the 750 is too big for my application?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

with the car at idle, shine a light in the carbs throat, do you see any fuel dripping out of the boosters? when you shut it down does white smoke pour out of the carb? Whats the fuel pressure? is there a fuel pressure gauge?
This sounds like a fuel pressure issue, it can leave you chasing a problem you can`t correct for long.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

There is no smoke out of the carb. The fuel pressure is about 5 to 7. The guage jumps but the pressure is under 7. i need to get a new guage I noticed it has went bad and not reading the pressure, probably went bad due to water getting in my gas tank and then me sucking though not knowing it was in the tank. I have the holley dvd and a book and Lar's Papers on Holleys and have done everything that was advised, but still can not get the rich smell or hesitation gone.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:26 AM

Last photo:

Then likely you could swap over to a Holley 670cfm street avenger carb. I`ve played with a few of these and they are pretty good carbs and should be just right for your application.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Ok well i adjusted the mixture screws a little and got it a little better. Still smells a little rich. Check the plugs and they are a good Tan Color. Also got my pressure guage fixed. It looks like its about 7psi. The gauge jumps bad when at idle and when i rev the car a its kind of starts to steady out a about 7psi. If a remeber correctly its a carter factory style fuel pump. Has the return and feed line and the feed line to the carb.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver00V6
Ok well i adjusted the mixture screws a little and got it a little better. Still smells a little rich. Check the plugs and they are a good Tan Color. Also got my pressure guage fixed. It looks like its about 7psi. The gauge jumps bad when at idle and when i rev the car a its kind of starts to steady out a about 7psi. If a remeber correctly its a carter factory style fuel pump. Has the return and feed line and the feed line to the carb.
Rich you can't get rid off is usually the fault of the power valve. Either dirt caught in it holding it open or the diaphragm is ruptured from a back fire, kit available to soothe this problem, or the valve is not installed properly.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.