carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2002, 11:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post carb

is edelbrock 600 carb sufficient for sb 400?

also, what's a good temp. to keep the 400 running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2002, 01:08 PM

It would probably be okay but a double pumper would be better or a 750 just my opinion(wrenchturner)
Old 06-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Depends on what the engine is for. If you are going to run mainly on the street and occasional strip use, the 600 w/ vacuum secondaries is perfect. Anything bigger is for all out racing engine. Double pumper is definitely a race only option. Always resist going too big on a carb. Also, for the street, get a 108deg intake manifold (dividing wall between sides of carb). Edelbrock Performer or even a Performer Plus is great. Other manufacturers have equivalent designs. Avoid the Victor and other 360deg designs (no divider) 'cause you will suffer on the botom & mid range where you will be burning all your 92 octane!
Old 06-28-2002, 05:50 PM

Double pumper a race only thing? excuuuse me? The ONLY carb for a 350-400 ci motor is a 750 double pumper.. they are fine on the street...
Old 06-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I think we should clear up any misconceptions regarding cfm ratings and engine needs in this post. One of the questions I hear often is what is the best for performance, double pumper or vacuum secondary. Almost without exception this can be answered by saying double pumper, in almost every situation the extra fuel delivered by a double pumper will assist the engine during torque demand by keeping the A/F mixture at 11:1 or richer for longer periods than a vacuum secondary carb could. Of course a vacuum secondary carb will not need the extra fuel due to the restricted airflow from the closed rear secondaries.

Do you need the extra airflow afforded by a double pumper carb? The answer is yes if you are looking for the ultimate in performance and torque production, a double pumper carb will always outperform a vacuum secondary carb on the dyno during sudden throttle angle changes. The problem is that it is possible to stall an engine with to much air and fuel at once and backfire through the carb, this is the principle reason why it is always recommended to run a vacuum secondary carb on the street. My question to you is are you smart enough to keep some restraint and not floor the accelerator when the engine is under heavy load at low rpm so you will not stall the engine? If the answer is yes than you are ready. This is why manual transmission cars usually have double pumper carbs from the factory and automatics usually came with vacuum secondary carbs. The manual trans operator has more control over engine rpm than an automatic driver has.

To the average idiot consumer this is a wise thing to do, but the average hot rodder is smart enough to know better. As for cfm ratings you can run as big as you want but at some point the restriction reduction caused by going bigger will not offer any performance increase and it will be a waste. You could conceivably run a 1150 cfm carb on a 305 as long as you could stand having to be careful with how much throttle you give it under load and low rpm. I have run 850 DP Holley carbs on 302 Fords with no problems and only had to be careful how I drove it, a full throttle stomp at a green light will leave you standing there looking like an idiot.

If I had a choice on carbs to run on the street I would have to say a 750cfm Holley double pumper is all the carb you will ever need unless you have one very radical big block, and then I would recommend an 850 DP for up to 600 HP. A Dominator looks nice and can be driven properly as long as the operator is aware of the limitations. On the other side of the coin a 600 vacuum secondary will offer you 90% of the performance without exacting the toll of watching how you play with the throttle. Ultimately it is up to you, if you don't mind learning to drive a car with a careful right foot then a double pumper is right for you. If you just want to stomp and steer it, then a vacuum secondary carb is for you.

The trade off is to get the extra 10% of torque from the engine you need to make a driveability sacrifice with a DP carb and learn to drive it. Is it worth it? that's up to you.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:59 PM

carb size is a relative thing,compression being the biggest, an 8.5 engine needs more carb than a 10.0 engine.the rule is use the smallest carb needed to run the engine at the max rpm it will be run at.in 1979 NASCAR came down with a 390 carb rule meaning the only carb that could be run was a 390cfm holley,we all thought that was the end of the big blocks, the next year the big blocks were back faster than ever, these modifieds now were running between 13 to 14:1 in compression and still turning 8000 rpms So I would say the 600 edelbrock would power the 400 if the compression is moderate(9.5)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.