Carb for a 347 Stroker?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carb for a 347 Stroker??

Im building a 347 stroker thatll produce about 400 HP. Ive got all sorts of opinions on carbs for it from the 650 Holley 4150 HP, to a Thunder Series AVS Edelbrock 800. I need to call upon the voices of experience. If it was my motor Id use a .
Thanks guys!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

If it were my motor I would use a Qjet. No, seriously, I would. Second choice would be a Holley vac sec 600.

Here's the breakdown. A 347 at 90% VE and 6000 rpms will ingest 542 CFMs. Anything more than 600 and you're giving up torque, throttle response, tunability, and drivability for no measurable increase in HP.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

If it were my motor (and someone else was footing the bill) I'd put EFI on it.

If it's sitting in a light chassis with a manual transmission and 3.90s I'd put a 650 mech secondary on there.

But don't listen to me, I could be a crackhead that can still type OK. Call some of the carb makers' tech lines, be honest about what you've got and see what they have to say.

There are significant benefits to a mechanical secondary carb - it can make for a reduced pressure drop across the carburetor and greater cylinder filling so long as your engine and gearing work with it. That's the key.

Send a PM to the Barry Grant tech fellow on this board and he can suggest something - just include all the details about your ride.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

A Q-jet would be a nice touch to a Ford motor-wouldn't it? If nothing else it would probably give you the best chance at anything resembling mpg's, due to the fact that they'll only deliver what the engine can utilize. Definitely a point to consider with todays fuel prices!-Jim
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Pony
Im building a 347 stroker thatll produce about 400 HP. Ive got all sorts of opinions on carbs for it from the 650 Holley 4150 HP, to a Thunder Series AVS Edelbrock 800. I need to call upon the voices of experience. If it was my motor Id use a .
Thanks guys!!
I've built quite a few 347's. The tamest one was 430HP w/440 ft.lbs. of torque! Cast iron Street Heat heads with just port matching. 292H Comp Cams hydraulic cam, Victor Jr. intake and a 750 Holley Double Pumper. Very relaible street combination also....
Old 09-23-2008, 01:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.d.brown.042964
A Q-jet would be a nice touch to a Ford motor-wouldn't it? If nothing else it would probably give you the best chance at anything resembling mpg's, due to the fact that they'll only deliver what the engine can utilize. Definitely a point to consider with todays fuel prices!-Jim
Ford used a spreadbore for a while with the 4MV carb.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydawg
Call some of the carb makers' tech lines, be honest about what you've got and see what they have to say.
With all due respect, that is like calling the phone company and saying, "you choose the plan that is best for me," or asking a used car salesman to "pick whatever car he thinks is best."

They will provide all kinds of tech info to steer you into the polished 9000000 CFM wonder carb that is the newest thing.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:33 AM

Last photo:

Ford also used a q-jet on the 429 SCJ!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
With all due respect, that is like calling the phone company and saying, "you choose the plan that is best for me," or asking a used car salesman to "pick whatever car he thinks is best."

They will provide all kinds of tech info to steer you into the polished 9000000 CFM wonder carb that is the newest thing.
Yup, you could get a guy that tries to shyster you into an expensive carb that you don't need. You take that chance. My experience is that the tech folk on the phone is a tech folk, not a salesman.

I would bet that the customer gets themselves in over their head on camshaft or carburetor choice more times than can be blamed on the tech support fellow. They're not on commission.

Calling a mail order warehouse may be a different matter. I would steer one towards the manufacturer's 1-800 support.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydawg
Yup, you could get a guy that tries to shyster you into an expensive carb that you don't need. You take that chance. My experience is that the tech folk on the phone is a tech folk, not a salesman.

I would bet that the customer gets themselves in over their head on camshaft or carburetor choice more times than can be blamed on the tech support fellow. They're not on commission.

Calling a mail order warehouse may be a different matter. I would steer one towards the manufacturer's 1-800 support.
Yeah, that's true. I've just been shocked before at tech lines and their non-commissioned advice. I once had a guy at PAW tell me that all GMs used the same distributor and then tried to convince me that buying a chevy distributor would work in my Caddy 500. Then he went on to say that BBCs had a different cam gear because they were reverse rotation.

I didn't even say goodbye, I just hung up.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks guys!!
Doesn't that depend a lot on what combination of parts you are building, for what overall purpose, and what specific vehicle it is going into?????

I would only use an air valve secondary, regardless of brand name.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

" I once had a guy at PAW " YA GETS WHAT YAS, PAY FOR

Try AED they are good and build every single carb in house.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks guys!!
How much duration at .050 does the cam have? WHat transmission? If you want to pm us some more engine details we will be glad to make a recommendation for you. Typically with the 347 engines we are using a 650 on them for reference.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73

You won't get that with our guys. Our tech guys are not tied to the sales department and will look at the engine and vehicle combination and make a recommendation based on information that can be found on our web site.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.