carb adjustment? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

carb adjustment?

I'm new to performance engines and stuff. I have a mild built 350 with a demon carb. Car runs good but when you're at a slow speed and punch it car has a bad hesitation and almost dies but if you ease into it car runs well. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley82 View Post
I'm new to performance engines and stuff. I have a mild built 350 with a demon carb. Car runs good but when you're at a slow speed and punch it car has a bad hesitation and almost dies but if you ease into it car runs well. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Start w/the accelerator pump. Look into the front two barrels and see if there's an immediate squirt in both sides from the shooter when you open the throttle.

More here.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM

I'm not familiar with the demon carburetor, but it appears to use step-up springs that are similar to the Edelbrock 1406. If that is true, then to resolve a part throttle bog you should start out by trying a step-up spring that is rated at a higher vacuum. Do this before you change the accelerator pump settings.

The rating on the step-up spring represents the vacuum level where it transitions the rods from cruise to power. Stock springs might be rated as low as 4" and they create a lean bog because the rich mixture comes in too late as you hit the throttle. You can get springs rated up to about 8", which will make the power transition happen much quicker as you push down the throttle.

Once you get the transition to work right, you can try different rod combinations to see if you can improve the power. All the rods have a stepped design with two different diameters (cruise and power). This affects the flow through the jets based on whether they are pulled down by vacuum (cruise mode, large part of rod in the jet) or pushed up by the springs (power mode, small part of rod in the jet). Smaller diameter rods allow more flow through the jets, so you swap to smaller diameter rods to get more fuel.

Springs and rods can be changed very easily while the carb is mounted, using only a screw/torx driver.

If the demon is designed like a Holley, then all my comments above don't apply.

Bruce
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley82 View Post
I have a mild built 350 with a demon carb.
Hold on a minute... do you have a "Holley" Demon:

or a "Thermoquad" Street Demon:

The new 'Street Demon' carbs use step up springs and metering rods. The older style Demons are just like a Holley as far as tuning, etc. goes with a few differences like the Idle-Eze setup. The link I provided in my first post addresses the Holley type accelerator pump.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

It's also possible your timing is set a tad too low. Check it just to be sure it's not on the low side. or even advance it a couple degrees and see how it does. Do you have a different carb you can put on and see if it does the same thing?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.