Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrobo View Post
Well got it all together and al is going well, , i did a gasket below and on top and ideling great i will tune it tomm but i was getting about 18 on my vac gauge is that good, i might be able to get more

Thansk
Earlier on your other thread I thought the vacuum leak was the gasket between the intake manifold and head, not the carb gasket.

Glad to hear you got it idling right and pulling a lot of vacuum- 18 in/Hg of vacuum is good.

When you can, you might want to look into recurving the distributor. That one thing can add a lot of performance if it's still set up stock. You may even eke out a bit more vacuum.

More on setting up a performance advance curve can be seen here. The article was originally written w/the GM HEI in mind, but the info on timing is basically universal w/the exception of the exact numbers for initial and total timing.

Exact timing numbers can vary from engine to engine depending on the displacement, cam timing, and specific parts used in the engine like carb, intake type, boosted or naturally aspirated, etc., as well as weight, gearing, fuel quality, ambient conditions and many other things that need to be considered.

A couple articles that may give you some ideas:

(Even though you have the 235) Building an inline 6 Chevy 250 engine
Chevrolet and GMC inline / straight 6 engines: Guides and resources

Good luck- 6 in a row can make it GO!!