Carb Choke Question/ Good Decision? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carb Choke Question/ Good Decision?

I am changing out my Ede 750/manual choke with a BG Speed Demon 750/electric choke.

My question is: How do I "by-pass" the choke function? Texas heat, there is no need for one. Is it just easier to remove the butterfly and choke assy?

Did I make a good decision in changing the Ede 1407 to the Speed Demon 750 on my 396/375?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 07-30-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Format
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHerm View Post
I am changing out my Ede 750/manual choke with a BG Speed Demon 750/electric choke.

My question is: How do I "by-pass" the choke function? Texas heat, there is no need for one. Is it just easier to remove the butterfly and choke assy?

Did I make a good decision in changing the Ede 1407 to the Speed Demon 750 on my 396/375?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I suppose propping it open with a broom handle is not the help you're looking for?

Actually the choke bi-metal spring should be adjustable in that the plastic housing can be rotated and secured with its screws, so probably the simplest way is to turn the plastic housing till the choke is fully open and tighten it there. Then just don't hook up the electrical circuit that heats it. Or put a switch in that circuit so you can have it in the winter if your area of Texas like El Paso gets cold a few days of the year.

Bogie

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 07-30-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM

Awesome. Thanks!! So, it's not a major tasking. Sheeew! I've had a lot of problems with the Ede 1407 boiling out and not wanting to start back up. BBC underneath 68 Camaro hood. Doesn't help that the fuel bowls are under carb against the intake. I just figured that the side-hung bowls, larger on Demon, would put this to a halt.

Houston is HOT and muggy ALL THE TIME!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

heat shields

Do you have a thermal break spacer under the carb? Edelbrock used to have one that wasn't much more than a triple gasket thickness - maybe 3/8 inch thick.

They also had a stainless "heat shield" that placed a line of sight thin metal 'shade" in the way of direct radiation from the manifold to the carb bowls.

Both of the devices work well at stopping boil out. They actually duplicate some of the GM factory pieces used on some high perf engines.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

At this point, and if that replacement is an older Barry Grant version carb, I might be reluctant to use it to replace that 1407. BG went out of business a couple years ago with the new Demons being made by someone else - do the old ones have parts support.

With the 1407, they absolutely need a spacer or other heat shield between the hot intake (does yours have a 'heat riser'?) and the carb. I changed my 1" aluminum for a 1" phenolic this year and no longer have the boil out I had before. There are several also that have an aluminum shield as well (Mr Gasket, and others)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

When I was at the fall Parts Peddler show in Syracuse; there was a guy selling a carb heat shield. It was a thin plastic honeycomb with stainless or aluminum sheet on the top and bottom. He had em for every domestic carb config you can imagine, in 4 hole and open designs. Cool Carb Technologies was the name of the company. They were a bit spendy; but for a situation where underhood space is minimal; I'd not even think twice. One of my friends has one under his Dominator; seems to work great.
http://www.coolcarb.com/order-products.html

Last edited by AutoGear; 08-02-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: found website
Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
When I was at the fall Parts Peddler show in Syracuse; there was a guy selling a carb heat shield. It was a thin plastic honeycomb with stainless or aluminum sheet on the top and bottom. He had em for every domestic carb config you can imagine, in 4 hole and open designs. Cool Carb Technologies was the name of the company. They were a bit spendy; but for a situation where underhood space is minimal; I'd not even think twice. One of my friends has one under his Dominator; seems to work great.
Order Products -

I saw those as well and might have considered one had I not just put the phenolic piece under my carb. From what I could see, they use a piece of calcium silicate insulator in the aluminum sandwich - not a new product, but seldom seen ($35 and up at the show) and do work fairly well

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.