Carb cleaning - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Carb cleaning

i have an old edelbrock carb that sat outside for a long time and was covered with that white oxide and on the inside it had a bunch of built up neon orange gunk that i cleaned out. the oxide is still mostly there though so i was thinking of dipping the carb body in CLR too see if i can remove that garbage. anyone try this and know if it works well or should i spend the 30$ on a gallon of the GUNK carb dip at advanced (all i can find around here). im trying to sort of refurbish this thing so i can use it i already have it pretty clean but its still extreamly sore on the eyes too look at and idk if it will funcion in the state its presently in...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

also i feel that i should add that ive ysed greased lightning full strength on it, trying boiling it is pine sole, tryed spray carb cleaner, and purple power degreaser. an none of them was corrosive enough i guess to get this oxide garbage off this carb. if CLR is bad i was thinking maybe even letting it soak in a vat of cola as the acids may help it some. idk if that sounds stupid but in my head it seams like a possibility ha
Old 10-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I have to ask why not just invest in another carb ?

Cole
Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

i have a 650 holley i can use on my engine. but since i got this carb for free i figured i might as well try and make it work. plus i like the feeling of taking something that should be thrown out and refurbishing it i guess. the way i see it ill spend the 40 bucks on a rebuild kit and have a rebuilt 40$ carb instead of buying a second hand carb for 75$ and then rebuilding that one for 40$ caues i cant find a decent working carb around here for anything less then 150$. and im pretty much broke so that destroys that option ha
Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprumos
i have a 650 holley i can use on my engine. but since i got this carb for free i figured i might as well try and make it work. plus i like the feeling of taking something that should be thrown out and refurbishing it i guess. the way i see it ill spend the 40 bucks on a rebuild kit and have a rebuilt 40$ carb instead of buying a second hand carb for 75$ and then rebuilding that one for 40$ caues i cant find a decent working carb around here for anything less then 150$. and im pretty much broke so that destroys that option ha
Make perfect sense to me. I am always fixing or trying to fix things. Exspecialy when thing are tight on the money.

Cole
Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

exactly, at least theres more people out there with the same mindset. theres no better feeling then taking apart and old tired greasy engine or something, cleaning it, painting it then rebuilding it so it looks like new. sense of accomplishment i guess that YOU did all the work to make it that way. way better then telling people "yeah i just pulled out my wallet when the invoice came from the shop... and thats why it looks so good.."
Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

That's right nothing better then saying, I did that.

Cole
Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Your problem is all of that is TOO corrosive. Your carb is oxidized. You can try blasting it with baking soda but it may be too far gone. I'd look for a new core.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Your problem is all of that is TOO corrosive. Your carb is oxidized. You can try blasting it with baking soda but it may be too far gone. I'd look for a new core.
Where you been ap? I agree when the sit so long sometimes just have to salvage what you can and find another /better core to work with.

Cole
Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Actually I called autozone and they have berrymans dip for 20$ and that's cheaper then a gallon of CLR so im gonna use that. Ill post up some before and after pics of the Carb body tomorrow invade anyone was wondering how well this stuff actually works.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

NOTHING you can dip it in will get rid of the oxidation. Plenty of things you can dip it in will get rid of the aluminum, though. Your best bet is soda blasting...glass bead blasting will do it too, but you may plug up some of the small internal passages with the beads...then you're screwed trying to get them out. The soda will not remove any of the aluminum, so you can blast away with it...then when you're done, it just rinses out with water. I've rigged up my own soda blaster with just a blow gun and piece of clear tubing. Adjust your air pressure, and you're in business. BTW, the Berryman's is the best carb cleaner going. REALLY gets all the crap out/off of the carb. I've let carboned/crapped up pistons soak in it, and they came out like new...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 AM

I just got thru rebuilding a 1966 Carter AVS that looked like its been through an Indiana Jones adventure and a couple world wars. It looks great now.. I used a $20.00 gallon of Autozone dip, a spray can of carb cleaner (for passages and such) and wire wheels..

Lots of work but it is now ready for the next decade of service.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

Buff it with 000 steel wool and polish with Mother's Mag wheel polish,I have found that to work well.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
Buff it with 000 steel wool and polish with Mother's Mag wheel polish,I have found that to work well.
That it does Jeff.

Cole
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

well i went to the store and bought some muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and diluted it with some water in a bucket and i let the carb body and top, among other pieces boil in it for a little while and it worked amazing to say the least. yes i know that the acid removes some metal but thats the reason i used it. i let it remove only the outside layer of oxidation on the carbs, but i didnt leave it in there long enough to really pit and degrade the underlying metal. it looks really good but we'll have to see how bad the now bare aluminum oxidizes over the next few days. hopefully it will sort of anodize itself and then stop once it has a thin coating of oxide but thats to be determined. anyway here are some before and after pics, looks WAY better in person as usual..

before..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.