Carb Cleaning Solvent? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh, I forgot . . . just because the hdpe bucket is unaffected by the thinner that doesn't mean the rubber tip on the air gun isn't affected! It IS!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 01:33 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Steve,

I'm glad you did well, I only use lacquer thinner for carb cleaning chores, seems like you forgot the googles though.

about plastics, I store the thinner in old well washed one galon motor oil containers, polyethylene is not affected by it, as well as most other plastics, PET soda bottles are also unafected, the clear plastic of some rigid googles is affected, don't try to rub it off, just let it evaporate, it chews up instantly styrofoam and swells rubber, both natural and it's synthetic forms.

I never let the carb soak long, maybe I should but I have found that giving it a good scrub with a 1 inch wide paint brush is enough, therefore I only use about a pint to wash a complete carb, I have several 2 galon plastic pans that I use for almost everything in the shop and this are just fine for washing carbs, thinner is also great for soaking valve lifters, oil pumps, throttle bodies, intake manifolds, etc, etc, it disolves all crud I have found very quickly, and you don't need the most expensive stuff, just use the cheapest you can get, the one I use here has 7% toluene and 30% MEK, the rest they didn't tell me but I belive is methanol and other aromatics.

It also cleans stained aluminum parts, like alternators (beware it will disolve the clear insolator of the coil wires) cleans great my karting engines.

Saludos.

Augusto.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Hi Augusto,

I think I'm a convert too - the lacquer thinner worked great!

I did wear safety glasses - I have an eye disease and I wear expensive hybrid contacts that are hard in the center with a soft skirt around the edge. They work great but one little piece of dirt in my eye and they hurt so it's almost second nature for me to put a set of safety glasses with side shields on any time I'm in the garage.

What I didn't have was gloves . . . I thought I did, nice pink Playtex ones, but I couldn't find them and the wife wasn't here to pick them up and hand them to me! Boy! Lacquer thinner sure can find any little cut or abrasion! And it stings!

I agree with ya - a long soak probably isn't necessary, I probably could've stopped after I brushed them off. I had some errands to run today though so I had the time to let the pieces soak for a bit.

the HDPE I mentioned is High Density PolyEthylene. From what I've read HDPE is pretty immune to about any solvent, but it can get into the plastic a bit and make it a bit less rigid and can kinda sweat out through it (from what I gathered it's kinda pourous and if the solvent has a low surface tension it can find it's way into those small voids). I've seen mineral spirits in HDPE jugs but I haven't seen lacquer thinner, I figured there's a reason for that so I figured in storage I would follow the manufacturer's lead and store in the metal cans it came in. I knew HDPE was pretty immune though so I didn't give a second thought to using it to soak and scrub the carb in though.

I've always used Mineral Spirits for parts cleaning - works pretty good for cutting grease and oil and it's pretty easy on paint and stuff. I'm going to give lacquer thinner a little more thought when it comes to varnishes, stained aluminum, etc. now though!

Our local home improvement store has Sunny Side lacquer thinner for around half the cost of the Klean Strip. It's MSDS shows a lower level of Toluene but it does have MEK and a few other things in it so I think I'll pick a jug up and do some comparisons next time I have occassion.

Thanks for the great tips Augusto!

Saludos!

Steve
Old 10-01-2007, 12:54 PM

Just one more Steve,

I used to have ( I lost it ) a nifty refillable spray can that uses compressed air to propell whatever you put in, like paint etc, I used to fill it with thinner and use it like regular carb cleaner spray cans, cleans as good and even better than commercial brands carb cleaner spray cans, the engine keeps running fine while you are spraying the thinner, and you can use lots of cleaner since it's so cheap to give the intake manifold a good clean, it's specially beneficial to EFI engines with dirty TB's, IAC's injector tips and manifold variable plenum valves, (like ford's 4.0 SOHC) the thinner should not harm the o2 sensor since there is no lead in it, I have used it for years and never had a sensor problem, I think a mail order company named willwood or something like that, carries them, get one you'll enjoy it.

Augusto.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 PM

this is just like mine was:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ReusaReusable-Re...QQcmdZViewItem

Augusto
Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 PM

wasn't willwood, it was harborfreight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1102

Augusto.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
Just one more Steve,

I used to have ( I lost it ) a nifty refillable spray can that uses compressed air to propell whatever you put in, like paint etc, I used to fill it with thinner and use it like regular carb cleaner spray cans, cleans as good and even better than commercial brands carb cleaner spray cans,
Augusto.
Hey, great! And I'm ordering some stuff from Harbor Frieght this week so this couldn't have came at a better time!

THANKS! Saludos!

Steve
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm glad I helped you.

Augusto.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

In the army we used to soak the metal parts in tidy bowl, worked pretty good.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Stuck in the past.

Last photo:

I have always used an enzyme cleaner from the local Farm/Fleet store called Water Seal. The water floats on top of the cleaner and seals it from the air. You use the basket to soak your parts and the enzyme dissolves gasket and gas residues. You need to wear rubber gloves when you wash your parts out in the sink. I follow up with blowing out with an air gun then wash out with carb cleaner. Water Seal comes in a 5 gallon container.

Last edited by 48ChryslerRodder; 10-02-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.