Carb gasket dual plane intake to 4 BBL - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Carb gasket dual plane intake to 4 BBL

I just realized I have the wrong carb gasket installed...or do I?

Edelbrock Performer 2116 dual plane intake

Edelbrock 600 CFM 4bbl carb

I have a standard square bore gasket on there now, but just realized that the intake/carb calls for a "heat insulator" gasket that has a strip of gasket material down the center. You can reference edelbrock part # 9266. That gasket mentions something about using it when underhood temps are a concern and you're boiling the fuel or something like that. I don't have that problem.

However, I have been chasing a very slight lean spot that I have been attributing to the 2ndary airvalve flapping open a little too early. Will/could a change to the correct gasket help?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

Unless you have the fuel percolation problems that is mentioned in the Edelbrock documents, I would stay with what you've got.

I have experienced the same lean spot you speak of with Carter / Edelbrock carbs - the AVS has some adjustment on the air valve spring, the AFB style is a weighted air valve and doesn't adjust. I have heard of drilling out the counterweights to change the secondaries' behaviour but I wouldn't go there!

Otherwise your gasket should be sealing fine and won't cause any troubles.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks, RD!

I'm ready to buy another carb that has some 2ndary adjustments. But, before I do I thought I'd go ahead and at least try to mess w/mine first. I have taken apart my Edelbrock and ground down the foot of the counter weights ever so slightly so the airvalves rest a few degrees closer to horizontal than stock. My thinking is that it will take a bit more velocity to open them because of the somewhat flatter resting position and there also seems to be some added mechanical leverage the counterweights have with this setup.

It shouldn't be too long before I find out how badly I screwed it up.

BTW-I have spent 2 years going through all various tuning adjustments/timing adjustments w/the carb and motor and feel I have exhausted all possible tuning avenues. This is my last resort...
Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

I'd be interested to hear how your mods work out for you.

Now I don't feel like such a slacker for living with the same problem for so long!

I recently bought a dbl pumper to replace it - now that's something that you can tune every which way. The Edelbrock is very limited that way.

I was reading up on modding a Q-jet, even there you can open up an orifice that feeds fuel into the back half of the carb as the air valve opens, similar to a pump shot. I'm not aware of anything similar on the AFB clones.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.