carb gaskets...poor idling...holley 4160 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 10:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy carb gaskets...poor idling...holley 4160

Just installed a rebuilt holley 4160 600cfm on a F351 Windsor. The engine runs lousy at idle and at low rpm. It runs GREAT above about 2000-2500.

I have also:
1) Pulled the manifolds off and done a compressions test - all 130-135 psi
2) Replaced the rotor, cap, plugs, and wires.
3) Double-checked the timing to 10 BTDC

My question is this...

My carb came with a gasket with 4 holes which match the bottom of the carb. My edelbrock manifold only has 2 large rectangles for openings. The intake ate the centers of the gasket, and now all I have is the square and a small strip running fore and aft down the center of the two openings..

The carb has small channels machined in to it's base. I am wondering if the lack of a gasket between the primaries and the secondaries has got it all messed up?

The engine 1) idles rough, 2) will not start when warm unless you crack the throttle while cranking (or advance it and then close it prior to cranking), 3) hesitates and almost quits at low rpm when the throttle is barely opened, 4) idles very very high (like 1600) after a 3-4 minute WOT run, and in general runs like crap unless it's WFO. I feel as tho I'm driving a funny car....only it's a boat.

I can feel and hear the secondaries as they open and close, the linkage is free and clear, and my fuel is new and clean.

ANy suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 10:23 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Check the float levels. Set the idle mixture screws(1.5-2.5 turns out...the more out the more fuel)

If that doesn't work look at the power valve.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:36 PM

The shop I bought the carb from says that they "bench flow test" all of them before they go out. But, I'm having so many problems that I'm starting to wonder. Yesterday the seconday float got stuck and the thing shot fuel all over the carb...a lil mount st helens right on top of my intake! would have made a great fire thats for sure.

I'll look at the idle mixture ...thanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:15 PM

Set those Bowls!

The 4160 series holley carb can be quite a handful sometimes(have one...) Since it looks like you have a flooding problem you would want to first check your float bowl levels- DONT go screwing around with the two mixture screws, this will pretty much do nothing for ya. after running the engine in nuetral(e-brake on!) shut her down and pull the brass plugs on the passenger side of the carb. The fuel should just barely seap out over the threads- yours will prolly gush out, have a rag handy! If the bowls are too full, get a big slotted screwdriver and a 5/8 wrench. put the 5/8 wrench on the nut on top of the bowl and then break the brass screw loose with the driver. I think you turn the wrench left to lower the level and right to raise.(it's a shame...i did this like an hour ago and already forget.) Tighten back down the brass screw and recheck the levels! Good Luck! I still havent decided if I like this carb yet- we will see.
-Luke
Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

channels under carburetor

"The carb has small channels machined in to it's [throttle body] base. I am wondering if the lack of a gasket between the primaries and the secondaries has got it all messed up?"

Old thread, I know, but interesting question.
My answer (opinion): I doubt it. The channels connect the primaries and secondaries, which is the case with or without a gasket... see photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb-holley-4160.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	46959   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake-manifold-edel-2111.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	46960   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb-gasket-thin.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	46961   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb-gasket-thick.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	46962  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.